Calculating Acceleration of a Sled on an Incline with a Pulling Dog

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which a dog is pulling a 50 kg sled up a hill with an incline of 20°. The dog exerts a force of 200N on the rope while the force of friction is 50N. Through calculations, it is determined that the sled's acceleration is -0.89 m/s/s, indicating that the sled is going downhill. The conversation ends with a suggestion to either change the dog or use multiple dogs to pull the sled.
ThatDude

Homework Statement

A dog pulls the rope of a 50 kg sled up a hill with an incline of 20° above the horizontal. The rope is directed 30° from the slope and the dog exerts a force of 200N on the rope. The force of friction is 50 N. What is the sled's acceleration?

2.The attempt at a solution

Fnet = ma

(Fapp) - (Ffriction) - (Fgx) = (50)(a)

(200N cos30) - (50N) - (50 kg * 9.81 m/s/s * sin20) = (50) (a)

a = -0.89 m/s/s.

Therefore, the sled is going down hill?!

Physics news on Phys.org
I did the problem and got the same results, I cannot help.

You should change your dog :), or maybe we are doing some mistakes, who knows.

Likes 1 person
The pooch is too weak. It makes sense too, though, he has to pull a 50kg sled with only an initial 200N of horsepower to work with.

Likes 1 person
Even without the 30º the dog cannot pull the sled, maybe the teacher shows this to explain why you need a bunch of dogs pulling the sled :) .

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys. I guess i did it correctly.

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a Sled on an Incline with a Pulling Dog

1. What is the "Dog Pull Incline Problem"?

The "Dog Pull Incline Problem" is a common issue faced by dog owners when walking their dogs on an incline or hill. It occurs when the dog begins to pull on the leash, making it difficult for the owner to maintain control and causing discomfort for both the dog and owner.

2. Why do dogs pull on inclines?

Dogs are natural pullers, and they may become more excited or stimulated when walking on an incline. Inclines also require more effort from the dog, which can lead to pulling as they try to move forward faster.

3. How can I prevent my dog from pulling on inclines?

There are several techniques you can use to prevent your dog from pulling on inclines. These include using a front-clip harness, teaching your dog to walk on a loose leash, and using positive reinforcement training to reinforce good walking behavior.

4. What are the negative effects of allowing my dog to pull on inclines?

Allowing your dog to pull on inclines can lead to physical strain and discomfort for both the dog and owner. It can also reinforce the behavior and make it more difficult to control your dog on walks in the future.

5. Are there any special considerations for certain breeds or sizes of dogs?

Certain breeds of dogs may have a stronger natural instinct to pull, such as sled dogs or hunting breeds. Additionally, smaller dogs may have a harder time walking on inclines due to their size and strength. It is important to adapt training techniques and equipment to fit the specific needs of your dog.