Domain and range of the function help needed work shown

In summary, the inverse function of f(x) = (3x+4)/(5-2x) is (5x-4)/(3+2x). The domain of the inverse function is (-inf, -3/2), (-3/2, inf), and the range is (-inf, 5/2), (5/2, inf). This was determined by finding the value of x that makes the denominator of the inverse function equal to zero, which is x = -3/2.
johnq2k7
domain and range of the function help needed.. work shown!

Given the function f(x)= (3x+4)/(5-2x) find the domain and range of the inverse function of f(x)

work shown:

it was proven to be one to one since f(x1)= f(x2)

found inverse f(x) to be (5x-4)/(3+2x), i believe this is correct

therefore the domain of the inverse function is the range of f(x)

therefore the range of the inverse function is the domain of f(x)

therefore the range of the inverse function is (-inf, 5/2), (5/2, inf)

since the domain of f(x) can't be 5/2 since 5-2x cannot equal 0 therefore x=0

i believe i may have made some incorrect assumptions for the range of the inverse function correctly

however what is the range of the inverse function, without graphically determining it
and is my domain for the inverse function correct

please help me with this problem

Physics news on Phys.org

johnq2k7 said:
Given the function f(x)= (3x+4)/(5-2x) find the domain and range of the inverse function of f(x)

work shown:

The function is 1-1, but the reason you cite makes no sense at all. A function [itex]f:D\rightarrow R[/itex] is 1-1 if and only if, for all [itex]x_1,x_2\in D[/itex], [itex]x_1\neq x_2[/itex] implies [itex]f(x_1)\neq f(x_2)[/itex].

found inverse f(x) to be (5x-4)/(3+2x), i believe this is correct

There's an easy way to check. If [itex]f^{-1}(f(x))=x[/itex] then you've found the correct inverse.

therefore the domain of the inverse function is the range of f(x)

therefore the range of the inverse function is the domain of f(x)

therefore the range of the inverse function is (-inf, 5/2), (5/2, inf)

since the domain of f(x) can't be 5/2 since 5-2x cannot equal 0 therefore x=0

Correct.

however what is the range of the inverse function, without graphically determining it
and is my domain for the inverse function correct

I'm confused. You gave us the (correct) range of the inverse function, and you didn't give the domain.

Tom Mattson said:
The function is 1-1, but the reason you cite makes no sense at all. A function [itex]f:D\rightarrow R[/itex] is 1-1 if and only if, for all [itex]x_1,x_2\in D[/itex], [itex]x_1\neq x_2[/itex] implies [itex]f(x_1)\neq f(x_2)[/itex].

There's an easy way to check. If [itex]f^{-1}(f(x))=x[/itex] then you've found the correct inverse.

Correct.

I'm confused. You gave us the (correct) range of the inverse function, and you didn't give the domain.

I made a mistake i meant f(x1) is not equal to f(x2) therefore it is one to one...

and i found the range of the inverse which is the domain of the function to be (-inf, 5/2), (5/2,inf)

however, although the domain of the inverse is equal to the range of the function.. i found the domain of the inverse function to be (-inf,-1), (-1,inf)... but i believe this is wrong...

so you have concluded that my inverse functions's range is correct.. but i need help with the domain of the inverse function.. please help!

I've just checked your inverse function, and it's right. To find its domain just do exactly what you did when you found the original function's domain: determine the value of x that makes the denominator zero. That's the one value of x that's excluded from the domain.

Tom Mattson said:
I've just checked your inverse function, and it's right. To find its domain just do exactly what you did when you found the original function's domain: determine the value of x that makes the denominator zero. That's the one value of x that's excluded from the domain.

ok.. then i get 3+2x=0

therefore x= -3/2

therefore is the domain of the inverse function, (-inf, -3/2), (-3/2, inf)

i believe this should be correct.. thanks for the help

Yes, that's right.

Tom,
What johnq2k7 said in his first post does make sense, although he didn't complete his thought.

f(x1) = f(x2) ==> x1 = x2 is an equivalent way (the contrapositive) to say
x1 [itex]\neq[/itex] x2 ==> f(x1) [itex]\neq[/itex] f(x2)

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of numbers, known as the domain and range. It assigns each element in the domain a corresponding element in the range.

2. What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, or independent variables, for the function. In other words, it is the set of values that can be plugged into the function to produce a valid output.

3. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or dependent variables, for the function. In other words, it is the set of values that the function can produce for a given input.

4. How do I determine the domain and range of a function?

To determine the domain and range of a function, you can first look at the given equation or graph to identify any restrictions or patterns. Then, you can plug in different values for the independent variable to see what outputs are produced. This process will give you a better understanding of the domain and range of the function.

5. What is the importance of understanding the domain and range of a function?

Understanding the domain and range of a function is crucial for solving problems involving the function, as well as for identifying any restrictions or limitations of the function. It also helps in determining the behavior and characteristics of the function, such as whether it is increasing, decreasing, or constant.