Don't understand with the question

• Thread starter Sanosuke Sagara
  • Start date
In summary, two particles with a phase difference of 30 degrees are in simple harmonic motion along a straight line with a length of 20.0cm. The period of each particle is 1.5s and the distance between them at 0.5s after the first particle passes the equilibrium point is 2.68 cm. The angular velocity for the second particle is 240 deg/s.
Sanosuke Sagara
This is a simple harmonic motion question.Two particles are in simple harmonic motion along a straight line of length 20.0cm.The period of each particle is 1.5s but there is a phase difference of 30 degree between them.

Just what it means by phase difference of 30 degree ?

Can anybody explain this to me ? Thank you .

Physics news on Phys.org
it means that the second particle reaches it's "amplitude" (not sure how to translate amplitude to english but it should be something similar) 30/360 * 1.5s later (or earlier than the first)

to confirm whether my solution is right or wrong

allistair said:
it means that the second particle reaches it's "amplitude" (not sure how to translate amplitude to english but it should be something similar) 30/360 * 1.5s later (or earlier than the first)

After this, a question ask like this,

What is the distance between the two particles 0.5s after the first particle passes the equilibrium point ?

My solution is :

30/360 * 1.5s = 0.125s

1.5 + 0.125 =1.625s (Period of the second particle)

Angular velocity for the second particle,

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    15.5 KB · Views: 230
Someone please help me figure out this question

Please, someon please help me.My solution is in the attachment.Just need someone to confirm whether my soulution to the question is right or wrong. Thanks for the help !

Hi Sanosuke.

If you set up the equation of motion for both particles:
[tex]x_1(t)=20\sin(\omega t)[/tex]
[tex]x_2(t)=20\sin(\omega t-30)[/tex]
(With the arguments are in degrees, not radians)
You are given the period is 1.5 s, so [itex]\omega=\frac{360}{1.5}=240 deg/s[/itex].
Then [itex]x_1[/tex] passes the equilibrium point at [itex]t=0[/itex]
You are asked for the distance [itex]d=|x_1-x_2|when t=0.5 s.

I get d=2.68 cm.

Anyway thanks for your help in this question . I appreciate it.

1. What does it mean to not understand with the question?

Not understanding with the question refers to a situation where the question being asked is unclear or confusing. It may also mean that the person asking the question does not fully comprehend the topic or concept being discussed.

2. How do I know if I don't understand with the question?

You may realize that you don't understand with the question if you find yourself feeling confused, unsure of how to answer, or needing to ask for clarification. It's important to recognize when you don't understand a question so that you can seek help or further explanation.

3. What should I do if I don't understand with the question?

If you don't understand with the question, it's best to ask for clarification or more information. This could be from the person asking the question or from a reliable source such as a teacher or textbook. It's important to seek clarification in order to fully understand the topic or concept being discussed.

4. How can I improve my understanding with questions?

To improve your understanding with questions, it's important to actively listen and pay attention when someone is asking a question. Take notes if necessary and ask for clarification if needed. It's also helpful to practice asking and answering questions in order to become more comfortable and confident with understanding them.

5. Can not understanding with questions affect my learning?

Yes, not understanding with questions can definitely affect your learning. If you don't understand the questions being asked, it can lead to a lack of understanding of the topic or concept being discussed. This can hinder your ability to fully learn and comprehend new information. It's important to address any confusion or lack of understanding with questions in order to effectively learn and retain information.