Doppler Effect physics homework

In summary, the frequency heard by an observer in a car traveling at 27m/s away from a factory whistle emitting a sound at 875Hz at a temperature of 25.9oC is approximately 807Hz, taking into account the Doppler Effect.
thatnewkid
So a factory whistle emits a sound at 875Hz. The temperature of the air is 25.9oC. What frequency will be heard by an observer in a car traveling at 27m/s away from the source

i know this is a two step problem but i have no idea where to start! anyone lead me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you considered the Doppler Effect?

i haven't herd of that but I am guessing that's possible...how does that work?

thatnewkid said:
i haven't herd of that but I am guessing that's possible...how does that work?
Find the discussion of Doppler effect in your physics textbook, with the equation you can use. Then post back with your attempt at solving the problem.

ok ok hold up I am trying it

is it 0.36518857142857? i understand what the source velocity is and the initial wavelength frequency is but i think i may have messed up where temperature plays a role

Let's use some common sense here. The source frequency is 875Hz. Your result should be in this neighborhood. Higher? Lower? What is your experience watching NASCAR? As the car approaches you what does it sound like? As it goes away what does it sound like? Also: way too many digits--use sig figs.

alright so i have f1= 875(v-27/v+vs)

how do i find the speed of the source with the temperature?

v=speed of wave
vo=speed of observer
vs=speed of source
f=frequency at source
f'=frequency observed by observer.

no nm i think i got it is it 811.75Hz?

You need to show your work. How did you arrive at the speed of sound at 25.9C?

V of sound = 331 + .6(temp)=331 + .6(25.9)=346.54m/s

f = actual f (v - v of observer/ v+ v of source)
f= 875(346.54/346.54 +27)
f= 811.75Hz

Your speed of sound looks right. Your result does not. Your v of source should be zero. Your v of observer is 27m/s

ok i just got so confused, help me out with what your trying to get at? (sorry i may seem dumb but i haven't done this in a long time and I am trying to learn it again to prepare for my final)

You are so close, hang in there!

You correctly stated:
thatnewkid said:
f = actual f (v - v of observer/ v+ v of source)

but this was wrong:
f= 875(346.54/346.54 +27)

Just evaluate the equation with "v of observer" = 27m/s and "v of source" with 0m/s

so...

875(346.54-27/346.54 + 0)=

806.826Hz?

Good work by you. Remember to watch your signs based on how the source/observer is moving. I am not a significant digit maniac, but I think you should go with 807Hz.

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as it moves towards or away from an observer. This effect is commonly observed with sound waves, but it also applies to electromagnetic waves such as light.

2. How does the Doppler Effect affect the pitch of sound?

The Doppler Effect causes an apparent change in pitch of a sound wave as the source of the sound moves towards or away from the observer. If the source is moving towards the observer, the pitch will seem higher, and if the source is moving away, the pitch will seem lower.

3. How is the Doppler Effect used in real life?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications, such as in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms, in medical imaging to measure the velocity of blood flow, and in radar technology to track the speed of moving objects.

4. What is the formula for calculating the Doppler Effect?

The formula for calculating the Doppler Effect is: f' = f(v + vd) / (v + vs), where f' is the perceived frequency, f is the actual frequency, v is the speed of the wave, vd is the velocity of the detector (observer), and vs is the velocity of the source.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of the Doppler Effect?

The magnitude of the Doppler Effect is affected by the relative velocities of the source and observer, the speed of the wave, and the angle between the direction of motion and the direction of the wave. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is traveling can also affect the magnitude of the Doppler Effect.