Why Does the Observed Frequency Increase When a Galaxy Approaches?

In summary: So you should have gotten -(0.0016m) instead of 0.0016m.In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a characteristic spectral line of atomic hydrogen in a certain galaxy. The observed frequency is higher than the actual frequency, indicating that the galaxy is approaching. To calculate the speed, the change in wavelength is calculated using the equation for recession velocity. The calculated value is positive, but it should be negative since the observed wavelength is smaller. This can be corrected by assigning a negative sign to the change in wavelength.
djerry

Homework Statement

Atomic hydrogen emits a characteristic spectral line with a frequency of 1421 MHz. A radio
telescope observes this line in a certain galaxy at a frequency of 1432 MHz.
Is the galaxy approaching or receding, and at what speed (in km/s)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I assume the galaxy is approaching as the waves tend to bunch up and thus the perceived frequency is actually higher than the actual frequency. To find the speed I tried calculating the change in wavelength as true-observed and got 0.0016m. Using this fact I used the equation:

recession velocity/wave speed = change in wavelength/actual wavelength

And got a value of 0.007579, which my text says should be the fraction of the speed of light which the galaxy is approaching at. However, this value is positive and I'm told it should be negative if approaching! Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
djerry said:
However, this value is positive and I'm told it should be negative if approaching! Where am I going wrong?
What's the change in wavelength? Is the wavelength getting bigger or smaller?

The wavelength observed was smaller, which implies the object is moving toward the observer.

I calculated the change in wavelength as 0.2111m-0.2095m=0.0016m.

djerry said:
The wavelength observed was smaller, which implies the object is moving toward the observer.
Good.

If something gets smaller, is its change positive or negative?

Well it should be negative. But when you calculate you get a positive as you're taking a smaller number (the observed) from the true wavelength. Do I just assign a negative because it's getting smaller?

djerry said:
Well it should be negative. But when you calculate you get a positive as you're taking a smaller number (the observed) from the true wavelength. Do I just assign a negative because it's getting smaller?
It is negative. Note that change is defined as final - initial (or new - old), which is observed wavelength minus true wavelength.

What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency of a wave (such as sound or light) due to the relative motion of the source and the observer. This means that the perceived frequency of the wave will be higher if the source is moving towards the observer, and lower if the source is moving away from the observer.

What causes the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is caused by the change in distance between the source and the observer. As the source moves closer to the observer, the distance between them decreases, causing the perceived frequency to increase. Conversely, as the source moves away from the observer, the distance between them increases, causing the perceived frequency to decrease.

What are some real-life examples of the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect can be observed in various phenomena, such as the change in pitch of a siren as an ambulance or fire truck passes by, the change in frequency of sound waves from a moving vehicle, and the shift in color of light from a star moving towards or away from Earth.

How is the Doppler Effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler Effect has many practical applications in science and technology. It is used in weather forecasting to track the movement of storms, in radar technology to detect the speed of moving objects, and in medical imaging to measure blood flow and detect abnormalities in the body.

Can the Doppler Effect be observed with other types of waves besides sound?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with other types of waves, such as light, water waves, and even seismic waves. In fact, the Doppler Effect was first observed with light waves by the Austrian physicist Christian Doppler in 1842.