Doppler effect wavelength from car

In summary, the frequency of the sound waves heard by a stationary observer is directly in front of the car when the source is stationary and directly behind the car when the source is moving.
matt_crouch

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at 30m/s in still air. the frequency of the siren on the car is 600hz. The velocity of sound in still air is 330 m/s. what is the wavelength of the sound waves

a)directly in front of the car
b)directly behind the car

What is the frequency of the sound heard by a stationary observer

c)directly in front of the car
d)directly behind the car

Homework Equations

FD=CD/Cs *Fs

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure where to start if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
matt_crouch said:

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at 30m/s in still air. the frequency of the siren on the car is 600hz. The velocity of sound in still air is 330 m/s. what is the wavelength of the sound waves

a)directly in front of the car
b)directly behind the car

What is the frequency of the sound heard by a stationary observer

c)directly in front of the car
d)directly behind the car

Homework Equations

FD=CD/Cs *Fs

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure where to start if someone could point me in the right direction.

Cheers

OK, let's kick this off. Can you first get the frequency of the doppler shifted sound wave? I think your equation above (though you haven't defined what each variable represents) should tell you that.

jamesmo said:
OK, let's kick this off. Can you first get the frequency of the doppler shifted sound wave? I think your equation above (though you haven't defined what each variable represents) should tell you that.

Also, write out how to get your C's.

well i can find the wavelength of the car but i think its only when its stationary I am not sure

If Cs of the source is 30 m/s an the frequency is 600 hz
then the wavelength is

0.05 m

but I am not so sure where to go from there.. if i have Cs and Fs how do i find what the wavelength in front and behind is

actually i think i have the answer.. i used an equation that was stated in my textbook..

Wavelength behind = (vm+us)/Fs

where Vm= velocity of sound in medium
Us= velocity of source

and it gets an answer of 0.6 m

and

wavelength infront = (vm-us)/Fs

given an answer of 0.5 m

and from here i can calculate the frequency of each wavelength from V= F*(Lambda)

matt_crouch said:
actually i think i have the answer.. i used an equation that was stated in my textbook..

Wavelength behind = (vm+us)/Fs

where Vm= velocity of sound in medium
Us= velocity of source

and it gets an answer of 0.6 m

and

wavelength infront = (vm-us)/Fs

given an answer of 0.5 m

and from here i can calculate the frequency of each wavelength from V= F*(Lambda)

Awesome! Have a good one.

What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is a phenomenon in which the perceived frequency of a wave, such as sound or light, changes when the source of the wave is in motion relative to the observer.

How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect occurs because the motion of the source causes the waves to either compress (when moving towards the observer) or stretch (when moving away from the observer), resulting in a change in perceived frequency.

What is the relationship between the Doppler effect and wavelength?

The wavelength of a wave is directly affected by the Doppler effect. When a wave source is moving towards an observer, the wavelength appears shorter, and when moving away, the wavelength appears longer.

How is the Doppler effect used in car technology?

In car technology, the Doppler effect is used in radar and sonar systems to measure the speed and distance of objects. It is also used in police radar guns to measure the speed of vehicles.

Can the Doppler effect be observed with other types of waves besides sound?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be observed with all types of waves, including light, water, and seismic waves.