Calculating Power of a Solar Panel

In summary, the question is asking for the total power captured by a solar panel with a surface area of 1.4 m2 and 12% efficiency, when it is oriented along the vector wˆ=(0, 1, 4)/sqrt(17) and receives sunlight with a power density P along the direction of the unit vector -vˆ=(4, 3, 5)/sqrt(50). The solution involves taking the dot product of -vˆ and -wˆ and multiplying it by P*1.4*0.12. The negative sign in front of the dot product represents the direction of the sunlight going into the panel, which is specified by the orientation of the panel along
eehelp

Homework Statement

If at some particular place and time the sun light is incident on the surface of the Earth along
a direction defined by the unitary vector – vˆ , where vˆ =(4, 3, 5)/sqrt (50) and with a power
density P, what is the total power captured by a solar panel of 1.4 m2
and with an efficiency
of 12% which is oriented along the vector wˆ =(0, 1, 4) /sqrt(17) ?

Homework Equations

The dot/scalar product equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the scalar product of -v and w, this gave me -23/sqrt(50*17), then multiply this by P*1.4*0.12, but my question is that the overall answer I get is negative due to the dot product. Is this possible as total power ? and am I doing this correctly ?.

Physics news on Phys.org
eehelp said:
which is oriented along the vector wˆ =(0, 1, 4) /sqrt(17) ?
You want the component of sun light going into that panel, so you'd better use the dot product of ##-\hat{v}## and ##-\hat{w}##.

Thank you for the reply.
I think I am understanding what you are trying to say. So does it mean that -v points downwards going into the panel ? and it says the panel is orientated along w so I don't understand where does the into bit come from ? I taught if I take -w it would just mean now the panel is in the opposite direction. Unless orientated along w means the vector w is pointing upwards from the panel ?

eehelp said:
Unless orientated along w means the vector w is pointing upwards from the panel ?
That's exactly what it means. The orientation of a plane is typically specified by a vector normal to the plane pointing out of the plane.

Your approach is correct, but the negative sign in front of the dot product indicates that the solar panel is facing in the opposite direction of the sun's rays. This means that the power captured by the solar panel will be negative, which does not make sense physically. In order to get a positive value, you can either change the direction of the solar panel to face in the same direction as the sun's rays, or you can take the absolute value of the dot product. This will give you the total power captured by the solar panel in the given conditions.

1. How do you calculate the power of a solar panel?

The power of a solar panel is calculated by multiplying the panel's efficiency (usually a percentage between 15-20%) by its surface area (measured in square meters) and the amount of sunlight it receives (measured in watts per square meter).

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for solar panel power?

The standard unit of measurement for solar panel power is watts (W). This measures the rate at which the panel converts sunlight into usable electricity.

3. How does the angle of the solar panel affect its power output?

The angle of the solar panel affects its power output by determining how much sunlight it receives. The optimal angle for a solar panel to maximize its power output varies depending on location and time of year, but is typically around 30-45 degrees.

4. How do you factor in weather conditions when calculating the power of a solar panel?

Weather conditions can affect the power of a solar panel as they can block or reflect sunlight. When calculating the power of a solar panel, it is important to consider the average weather conditions for the location and make adjustments accordingly.

5. Can the power of a solar panel be increased?

Yes, the power of a solar panel can be increased by adding more panels, improving their efficiency, or optimizing their placement for maximum sunlight exposure. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help to maintain high power output.