1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product help

1. Dec 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If at some particular place and time the sun light is incident on the surface of the earth along
    a direction defined by the unitary vector – vˆ , where vˆ =(4, 3, 5)/sqrt (50) and with a power
    density P, what is the total power captured by a solar panel of 1.4 m2
    and with an efficiency
    of 12% which is oriented along the vector wˆ =(0, 1, 4) /sqrt(17) ?

2. Relevant equations

The dot/scalar product equation.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the scalar product of -v and w, this gave me -23/sqrt(50*17), then multiply this by P*1.4*0.12, but my question is that the overall answer I get is negative due to the dot product. Is this possible as total power ? and am I doing this correctly ?.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You want the component of sun light going into that panel, so you'd better use the dot product of ##-\hat{v}## and ##-\hat{w}##.

4. Dec 19, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the reply.
    I think I am understanding what you are trying to say. So does it mean that -v points downwards going into the panel ? and it says the panel is orientated along w so I don't understand where does the into bit come from ? I taught if I take -w it would just mean now the panel is in the opposite direction. Unless orientated along w means the vector w is pointing upwards from the panel ?

5. Dec 19, 2014 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's exactly what it means. The orientation of a plane is typically specified by a vector normal to the plane pointing out of the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted