Dot product in spherical coordinates

In summary, the dot product of two unit vectors in spherical coordinates is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be expressed in terms of the angles \theta and \phi using the formula provided by the hint, which converts the spherical coordinates into Cartesian coordinates.
buttertop

Homework Statement

What is the dot product of two unit vectors in spherical coordinates?

Homework Equations

AB = ||A|| ||B|| cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) = cos([itex]\theta[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

The above equation is the only relevant form of the dot product in terms of the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] that I can find. However, I'm not sure if the spherical coordinates need a term for [itex]\phi[/itex]. If so, is this correct?

AB = ||A|| ||B|| cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) sin([itex]\phi[/itex]) = cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) sin([itex]\phi[/itex])

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unit vectors in spherical coordinates are

i = cos(φ)cos(θ)ρ + cos(φ)cos(θ)φ - sin(θ)θ
j = sin(φ)sin(θ)ρ + cos(φ)sin(θ)φ + cos(θ)θ
k = cos(φ)ρ - sin(φ)φ

Ah, sorry, by "unit vector" all I meant was both vectors have unit length, so ||A|| ||B|| = 1. Even if this didn't apply, I'm wondering if AB = ||A|| ||B|| cos([itex]\theta[/itex]) sin([itex]\phi[/itex]).

No, your formula is incorrect.

A spherical coordinate system is a coordinate system for three-dimensional space where the position of a point is specified by three numbers.

So if I have two vectors, they can each be described by the angles [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], roughly equivalent to the azimuth and the altitude of a sphere, right? So what I'd like to know is what the dot product is between two vectors in terms of these angles. I know, at least in cartesian coordinates, that the dot product is equal to ||A|| ||B|| cos([itex]\theta[/itex]). If I'm describing the dot product of two vectors in three dimensional space, does this still apply, or do I need to take [itex]\phi[/itex] into account?

Like I said you need three numbers to describe a point in spherical coordinates, namely ρ, θ, and φ. θ and φ are not enough.

Ah, of course, sorry I misunderstood. In this case I believe [itex]\rho[/itex] is equal to 1. Is there a way to use the i, j and k identities you mentioned to express the dot product in terms of [itex]\rho[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]?

I do not understand your question. Perhaps you are talking about the cross product or the divergence. The divergence is like the dot product of the del operator and the vector function F. i.e. div F = F.

Hmm... I don't think the divergence is what I'm looking for exactly. Basically, this is the setup: there are two vectors centered on the origin. I know [itex]\rho[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. How do I express the dot product of the two vectors in these terms?

Can you convert from spherical to Cartesian coordinates?

I think I know what you mean. Two compute <ρ1, φ1, θ1>⋅<ρ2, φ2, θ2> express spherical coordinates in terms of Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) and use the fact that cos(θ1)cos(θ2) + sin(θ1)sin(θ2) = cos(θ1 - θ2).

Hint: <x1, y1, z1>⋅<x2, y2, z2> = ρ1sin(φ1)cos(θ12sin(φ2)cos(θ2) + ...

Thanks for all of your help glebovg, I think I'm on the right track. One thing though: I'd like to be able to express it in terms of the angles [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] between the two vectors, so there's only one value of [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] ([itex]\rho[/itex], too, but that is equal to 1 and won't show up, I believe).

Here is an example for two vectors in 2D, using [itex]\theta[/itex]:
http://meandmark.com/vectorpart4.html"

What would the equivalent be if I needed [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] to describe the two vectors?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking for an equivalent of ab = |a||b|cos(θ) just use the hint I gave you and you will derive the general formula.

Note that <x1, y1, z1>⋅<x2, y2, z2> = ab.

1. What is the dot product in spherical coordinates?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is a mathematical operation used to find the scalar product of two vectors. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of the two vectors and produces a scalar value as the result.

2. How is the dot product calculated in spherical coordinates?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. This can be represented as: A · B = |A||B|cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors.

3. What is the significance of the dot product in spherical coordinates?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and computer graphics. It is particularly useful in calculating work, force, and energy in three-dimensional systems.

4. How is the dot product related to the spherical coordinate system?

The dot product in spherical coordinates is related to the spherical coordinate system as it takes into account the orientation and direction of the two vectors in a three-dimensional space. This is important in accurately representing and calculating physical quantities in spherical coordinate systems.

5. Can the dot product be negative in spherical coordinates?

Yes, the dot product in spherical coordinates can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the cosine term in the dot product equation. This indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions.