1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dot product vectors

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    Hello, I have this problem that asks the following

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find two vectors v1 and v2 whose sum is (-1,0) where v1 is parallel to (5,-5) while v2 is perpendicular to (5,-5).

Could someone "walk" me thought the steps to find v1 and v2... I'm confident I can make the computations is the steps that are unknown to me... thanks in advance...
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2
    If v1 is parallel to (5,-5) then v1 = (k5,-k5). k is an unknown that you will need to solve for.

A similar setup applies to v2. v2 is perpendicular to (5,-5) so it is parallel to (5,5).

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first step would be to write the unknown vectors in terms of there unknown components: [itex]v_1=(x_1,y_1)[/itex] and [itex]v_2=(x_2,y_2)[/itex]...what is [itex]v_1+v_2[/itex] in terms of these components?...what does the fact that this vector sum must be (-1,0) tell you?

5. Nov 9, 2008 #4
    ....okay, so maybe I can't follow directions as well as I thought... I hate to ask, but could you solve it for me? it's one of those things where I'm just stumped...

6. Nov 9, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you show us what you've got? (even if you think it is wrong)

7. Nov 9, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you titled this "dot product" why don't you tell us what you think the dot product is and how it is related to "perpendicular".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?