Double integral by changing order and limits

In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with evaluating a double integral by changing the order of integration. They also asked for advice on inputting equations into their posts. The conversation also included discussions on calculator difficulties and finding the correct answer. The student eventually realized their mistake and was able to solve the problem.
s_gunn

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following double integral by changing the order of integration:

∫(lower 0 and upper 1)∫ (lower √x and upper 1) sin(((y^3)+1)/2) dydx

2. Homework Equations

In case it's not clear from above! y is between √x and 1, and x is between 0 and 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do the integration parts of this but have no idea if I have worked out the new limits right!? Is it x between 0 and y^2 and y between 0 and 1?

Any advice on how to input equations into my posts would be helpful too!?

Physics news on Phys.org
s_gunn said:
Is it x between 0 and y^2 and y between 0 and 1?

Yes, that's right.

Any advice on how to input equations into my posts would be helpful too!?

Check out the following thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Any time you see an equation formatted in LaTeX you can click on the image and the code will pop up (just make sure your settings allow pop ups!)

thanks for the fast response! I was just confused by my answer which was 0.666565 (6dp) as normally our problems nearly always end up as obvious fractions.

I obviously rounded up to 2/3 though!

I'll try and input my working out by reading that post if you or anyone else can check it for me!

[tex]\int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{y^2} \sin{\frac{y^3+1}{2} dxdy [/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{1} [x\sin{\frac{y^3+1}{2}]^y^2_0 dy [/tex]
[tex]=\int_{0}^{1} [y^2\sin{\frac{y^3+1}{2}] dy [/tex]

then by inspection:

[tex]=\frac{2}{3}\int_{0}^{1}\frac{d}{dy}(-cos{\frac{y^3+1}{2}}) dy [/tex]
[tex]=[\frac{2}{3}(-cos{\frac{y^3+1}{2}})]^1_0 [/tex]

[tex]= 0.666565 \approx\frac{2}{3} [/tex]

Does this seem right?!

I feel so proud inputing all that!

Everything looks right...except the answer. I think you're having calculator difficulties because when I do the integral I get 0.22485. Maple agrees with me.

I've had 3 different answers from my calculator so far and non have been 0.22485! I think I'm going crazy!

I've been going over this again and still can't come up with the answer that maple (and an online definite integral calculator!) gives of 0.22485. I've tried having my calculator in radians (=0.306465) in degrees (=-1.10537 * 10^-4)
Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong - I've never had a problem like this before when my working is right but the numerical answer just won't come out right!

Hi S_gunn

So your result is:
[tex]
=[\frac{2}{3}(-cos{\frac{y^3+1}{2}})]^1_0
[/tex]

putting in the limts
[tex]
=\frac{2}{3}(-cos{1}+cos{\frac{1}{2}})]
[/tex]
as cos(0) = 1 and cos(pi/2) = 0 decreasing monotonically, so this should be close to the numebr quoted previously. I would always assume radians unless otherwise stated, as this is the natural input by which a trigonometric function is defined.

Is this what you're inputting? i don't have a calculator handy...

Thanks for all your help everyone! I made the stupidest mistake possible and worked out that

[tex]\frac{y^3+1}{2}[/tex] was 0 when y was 0!

Why is it always something so simple that gets you!??

Well, it's all sorted now but I'm sure I'll be back sometime soon!

1. What is a double integral by changing order and limits?

A double integral by changing order and limits is a method of solving a double integral, which is an integral with two variables, by rearranging the order of integration and changing the limits of integration. This can make the integral easier to evaluate and can also provide different perspectives on the same integral.

2. How do you change the order of integration for a double integral?

To change the order of integration for a double integral, you simply need to swap the order of the differential terms in the integral. For example, if the original integral is ∫∫f(x,y)dxdy, the new integral would be ∫∫f(x,y)dydx.

3. Why would you want to change the order of integration for a double integral?

Changing the order of integration for a double integral can make it easier to evaluate, especially if the integrand becomes simpler when the order is changed. It can also provide different perspectives on the same integral, which can be useful in certain applications.

4. How do you change the limits of integration for a double integral?

To change the limits of integration for a double integral, you need to determine the new limits based on the new order of integration. This can involve graphing the region of integration and using the new order to determine the bounds for each variable.

5. Are there any restrictions on when you can change the order and limits of integration for a double integral?

Yes, there are certain restrictions that must be considered when changing the order and limits of integration for a double integral. These include ensuring that the new limits are consistent with the original region of integration and that the integrand remains the same regardless of the order and limits chosen.