Changing order of integration double integral

In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up an integral for the region bounded by y=x, y=2x-2, and y=0, and how to evaluate it in two different orders (dxdy and dydx). The conclusion is that the dydx order is more complicated and requires splitting the integral into two parts. However, both orders give the same answer.
skate_nerd

Homework Statement

Set up an integral for the ∫∫xydA for the region bounded by y=x, y=2x-2, and y=0. Set up the dxdy integral, then the dydx integral, then evaluate the simplest of the two.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the region which was easy enough, and the easier integral to come up with was the dxdy integral with the y bounds from 0 to 2 and x from y to (y+2)/2. I'm pretty positive this one is correct, but my troubles show up when I try to come up with one for dydx. I know the x boundary is 0 to 2 but the y boundary is confusing me. I first tried from 2x-2 to x but that didn't give me the same answer as the dxdy integral. Then I tried a y boundary from 0 to x and that didn't work either. Any hints at what is giving me problems would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have y between [x,2x-2] and x between [0,1];

Or x between [y,(y+2)/2] and y between [0,2], you look for the point of intersection of x and 2x-2 which occurs at x=2.

You might need to change the order of the limits, the picture you draw shoud supply you with enough information.

What happens is that the lower limit y(x) has two parts in its domain, and its definition is different between them. Find the subdomains and the expressions.

Integrating in the order [itex]\int_{y=}\int_{x=} f(x,y) dxdy[/itex] is straight forward. For [itex]\int_{x=}\int_{y=} f(x,y)dydx[/itex], the lower edge of the region is y= 0 until x= 1 where it becomes y= 2x- 2. So do that as the suim of two integrals.

Ah I think I have it now. The order dydx is more complicated, and is a sum of two integrals. First with x from 0 to 1 and y from 0 to x and then the next x from 1 to 2 and y from 2x-2 to x. Evaluating that gives me the same answer as evaluating the single integral order dxdy that I already had.

1. What is the process for changing the order of integration in a double integral?

The process for changing the order of integration in a double integral involves swapping the limits of integration and the order in which the variables are integrated. This is done by first identifying the new limits of integration, then setting up the integral with the new order of integration, and finally evaluating the integral using the new limits.

2. Why would we want to change the order of integration in a double integral?

Changing the order of integration can often simplify the evaluation of a double integral. It can also make it easier to apply certain integration techniques, such as using a change of variables or integrating over a different region.

3. How do I know when it is necessary to change the order of integration in a double integral?

In general, it is necessary to change the order of integration when the region of integration is better described by one variable than the other. For example, if the region is a triangle, it may be easier to integrate with respect to x first and then with respect to y.

4. Can the order of integration always be changed in a double integral?

No, in some cases it may not be possible to change the order of integration. This can occur when the region of integration is not well-defined or when the integral is not convergent.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for changing the order of integration in a double integral?

Yes, there are certain techniques that can be used to identify when and how to change the order of integration. These include drawing a diagram of the region of integration, evaluating the integral using both orders of integration, and using symmetry or other properties of the integrand to simplify the integral.