Double integral in polar coordinates

In summary: Thank you for your input.In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a solid bounded by two paraboloids. The student attempted to solve the problem by setting the two equations equal to each other and finding their intersection, then converting to polar coordinates and taking the double integral. They then subtracted the two r^2 and multiplied them to other r to get the area under the surface. They integrated to get the final answer.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

Ok so I solved the problem, I think. I would just like to check my work.
So the problem is:
Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid bounded by the paraboloids z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 and z = 4 - x^2 - y^2.

Homework Equations

r^2 = x^2 + y^2
x = r cos Θ
y = r sin Θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I starts by setting the two equations equal to each other to find their intersection.
3x^2 + 3y^2 = 4 - x^2 - y^2
4x^2 + 4y^2 = 4 (add the x^2 and y^2 across)
x^2 + y^2 = 1 (divide by four)
So then that the paraboloids intersect in the circle x^2 + y^2 = 1.

So from this, I figured that the area I was integrating over in polar coordinates was 0 ≤ r ≤ 1 and 0 ≤ Θ ≤ 2pi.

Then, I converted the two equations to polar coordinates:
z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 = 3r^2
z = 4 - x^2 - y^2 = 4 - r^2

Then I took the double integral of (4 - r^2 - 3r^2) r dr dΘ from 0 to 1 (with respect to r) and then from 0 to 2pi (with respect to Θ).

I subtracted the two r^2 and mulitplied to other r through so that I was now taking the double integral of 4r - 4r^3 dr dΘ over the same area.

I integrated that to get 2r^2 - r^4 and plugged in 1 and 0 for the values of r and got 1.

Then I integrated 1 from 0 to 2pi to get a final answer of 2pi.

Did I do something wrong?
Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have done this properly. I think that you need to find the volume of the solid for a surface which is

[tex] z=4(-x^2-y^2+1) [/tex]

for z>0

Which intersects the xy-plane on the unit circle centred at (0,0)

That equation you gave is not in the problem I stated so I have no idea where you are coming from.

Well you said that you need to find the volume between the two surfaces?

[tex] z_1 = 3x^2 + 3y^2 [/tex]
[tex] z_2 = -x^2 - y^2 + 4 [/tex]

The difference in their height at every point is

[tex] z=z_2-z_1=-4x^2-4x^2+4 [/tex]

I think that the solution will be to find the area under the surface above which can be written as

[tex] z=4(-x^2-y^2+1) [/tex]

that is, the volume between this curve and the xy-plane. Also, to find a volume, polar co-ordinates are not sufficient, how can you get a volume when integrating for a 2D problem? Use cyclinderical polar coordinates or spherical polar coordinates.

Also, I suggest the former method, adding small disks of varying radius and infinitesimal height dz.

I can only use polar coordinates cause that is the unit we are doing in the book so they have to be sufficient.

And you were saying that I was trying to find the area under the surface z = 4(-x^2 - y^2 +1).
However, if you look, I did that because I integrated 4 - 4r^2 which is exactly that.

Then I think actually it should be OK

simmonj7 said:
Did I do something wrong?
Thanks! :)

No. It is exactly right.

What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a type of integral used to calculate the volume of a region in the polar coordinate system. It involves integrating over both the radial distance and angle of the region.

What are the advantages of using polar coordinates for double integrals?

Using polar coordinates for double integrals can make certain calculations easier, particularly for regions that have circular or symmetric shapes. It also allows for simpler expressions when dealing with curved boundaries.

How do you convert a double integral in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you first need to change the limits of integration to correspond to the polar coordinates. Then, you can substitute in the appropriate polar coordinate expressions for x and y, and integrate over the radial distance and angle.

What is the difference between a single and a double integral in polar coordinates?

A single integral in polar coordinates involves integrating over a single variable, either the radial distance or the angle. A double integral in polar coordinates involves integrating over both variables simultaneously.

When is it most appropriate to use a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is most appropriate when dealing with regions that have circular or symmetric shapes, or when the boundaries are more easily defined in polar coordinates. It can also be useful for calculating the volume of three-dimensional objects with curved surfaces.