Double integral polar cordiantes

In summary: This is because the function being integrated, xy, is an odd function with respect to both x and y, and the domain of integration, a disc with center at the origin, is also symmetric with respect to both x and y. Therefore, the positive and negative contributions to the integral cancel out, resulting in a value of 0.
christian0710
Hi, I need help with this problem

Evaluate the given integral by changing to polar cordinates

∫∫xydA where D is the disc with centre the origin and radius.

My solution so far.

I believe this would give a circle with radius 3 in xy plane. And then x=r*cos(θ) and y=r*sin(θ)

So ∫(∫((r*cos(θ)*r*sin(θ))*r,r,0,3),θ,0,2∏)

But the result is suppose to be zero.
What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh never mind, the result is correct :P
Just me who needs to learn how to use my calculator.

I guess it did not make seance that a circle with radius 3 would give 0 as a result, but perhaps it's because z=x*y --> z=0 <> 0=x*y so x=0/y --> x=0 and y=0/x --y=0
Is that a correct interpretation?

christian0710 said:
Hi, I need help with this problem

Evaluate the given integral by changing to polar cordinates

∫∫xydA where D is the disc with centre the origin and radius.
And radius what?
christian0710 said:
My solution so far.

I believe this would give a circle with radius 3 in xy plane. And then x=r*cos(θ) and y=r*sin(θ)

So ∫(∫((r*cos(θ)*r*sin(θ))*r,r,0,3),θ,0,2∏)

But the result is suppose to be zero.
What am I doing wrong?
That's what I get.

christian0710 said:
Ohh never mind, the result is correct :P
Just me who needs to learn how to use my calculator.

I guess it did not make seance that a circle with radius 3 would give 0 as a result, but perhaps it's because z=x*y --> z=0
Why do you think that z = 0?
christian0710 said:
<> 0=x*y so x=0/y --> x=0 and y=0/x --y=0
Is that a correct interpretation?
No.
Edit: Added the inner integral.
The integral looks like this:
$$ \int_{\theta = 0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^3 rcos(\theta) \cdot rsin(\theta) r~dr~d\theta$$

If you carry out the integration, you get a value of 0.

Last edited:

What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a method of calculating the area under a polar curve. It involves calculating the area of infinitesimally small sectors and adding them up to find the total area.

How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

A regular double integral involves calculating the area under a curve in rectangular coordinates, while a double integral in polar coordinates involves calculating the area under a polar curve.

What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in a double integral?

Polar coordinates are often used in double integrals when the shape of the region is more easily described using angles. It can also simplify calculations for certain types of functions.

How do you convert a double integral in polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates?

To convert a double integral in polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates, you need to use the Jacobian transformation. This involves substituting in the x and y values in terms of r and theta and multiplying by the determinant of the transformation matrix.

What type of problems can be solved using double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates can be used to solve problems related to calculating areas, volumes, and finding the center of mass for objects with circular or symmetric shapes.