Evaluating 2D Integrals: f(x,y)=min(x,y)

In summary, the problem is asking to evaluate two-dimensional integrals over a specified region, where the function f(x,y) is defined as the minimum of x and y. This can be done by dividing the region into two parts based on the value of f(x,y), and then performing double integration for each part separately.
rgalvan2

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following definite two-dimensional integrals over the specified domains of integration.

f(x,y)=min(x,y), over the region {(x,y) : 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not even sure where to start because I'm not sure what the problem even means by f(x,y)=min(x,y). HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
min(x,y) means minimum of x and y. For example, in the region x < y, f(x,y) = x.

So if I integrate first from 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 then the x bounds, my f(x,y)=y? I'm a little confused over this. I don't remember going over this in calculus and this homework is supposed to be a calculus review.

Divide the region {(x,y) : 0 < x < 2, 0 < y < 1} into two parts, one where f(x,y) = x, and one where f(x,y) = y. Then do the usual double integration for the two regions seperately.

1. What is a 2D integral?

A 2D integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a two-dimensional function. It involves integrating the function over a specific region on a plane.

2. What is the function f(x,y)=min(x,y)?

The function f(x,y)=min(x,y) represents the minimum value between x and y. This means that for any given x and y values, the function will output the smaller of the two.

3. How do you evaluate a 2D integral with the function f(x,y)=min(x,y)?

To evaluate a 2D integral with the function f(x,y)=min(x,y), you first need to set up the limits of integration based on the region of interest. Then, you can use the double integral to calculate the area under the function over that region.

4. What are some real-life applications of evaluating 2D integrals with the function f(x,y)=min(x,y)?

One real-life application is in economics, where this type of integral can be used to determine the optimal price for a product based on the demand and supply functions. It can also be applied in engineering to find the minimum stress in a structure.

5. Are there any special considerations when evaluating 2D integrals with the function f(x,y)=min(x,y)?

Yes, when using this function, you need to be careful about the order of integration. The limits of integration may change depending on whether you integrate with respect to x or y first. It is important to understand the geometry of the region in order to set up the integral correctly.