Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double Integral

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the following definite two-dimensional integrals over the specified domains of integration.

f(x,y)=min(x,y), over the region {(x,y) : 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 2, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even sure where to start because I'm not sure what the problem even means by f(x,y)=min(x,y). HELP!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

min(x,y) means minimum of x and y. For example, in the region x < y, f(x,y) = x.

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    So if I integrate first from 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1 then the x bounds, my f(x,y)=y? I'm a little confused over this. I don't remember going over this in calculus and this homework is supposed to be a calculus review.

5. Jan 21, 2010 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide the region {(x,y) : 0 < x < 2, 0 < y < 1} into two parts, one where f(x,y) = x, and one where f(x,y) = y. Then do the usual double integration for the two regions seperately.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook