Double Integrals in polar coordinates: Calculus 3

In summary, the problem is to convert the given integral in Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates and evaluate it. The region of integration is defined as 0 ≤ x ≤ √6 and -x ≤ y ≤ x, which can be rewritten in polar coordinates as 0 ≤ r ≤ √6 and -π/4 ≤ θ ≤ π/4. The lower limit for r is 0 and the upper limit depends on θ, which can be solved using the equation r cos(θ) = √6. The calculated integral evaluates to 6.
timmastny

Homework Statement

Given [itex]\int^{\sqrt{6}}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{x}_{-x}[/itex]dydx, convert to ploar coordinates and evaluate.

Homework Equations

We know that x=rcos[itex]\theta[/itex] and y=rsin[itex]\theta[/itex] and r =x^2+y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I defined the region of the original integral: R = 0 [itex]\leq[/itex]x[itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex] and -x[itex]\leq[/itex]y[itex]\leq[/itex]x.

In other words, we know that y is bounded on the lower limit by the line -x and the upper limit x. Because the line x produces a 45 degree angle, -[itex]\pi[/itex]/4 [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\theta[/itex] [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\pi[/itex]/4.

However, I do not understand how to find domain of r. The region the original integral covers is not circular. We can prove this because at ([itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex],0), r = [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex] and at ([itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex], [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]), which is still in the region defined by the original integral, r = [itex]\sqrt{12}[/itex] ([itex]\sqrt{\sqrt{6}^2+\sqrt{6}^2}[/itex])

So that is where I am stuck. The answer to the problem according to the book is 6 but I do not know how to get there. All the examples we worked were circular regions.

Additionally, assuming the region is 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] r [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex] does not work either. [itex]\int^{pi/4}_{-pi/4}[/itex] [itex]\int^{sqrt{6}}_{0}[/itex] r dr d[itex]\theta[/itex] = (3[itex]\pi[/itex])/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
3pi/4 is 135 degrees. According the limits of integration, x only varies from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]. [itex]\theta[/itex] cannot go past the limits set by x.

If [itex]\theta[/itex] varied from pi/4 to to 3pi/4 wouldn't the limits of x be different?

However, I agree it is a triangle but I think the triangle is in positive x region, and the lower side of the triangle is the line -x.

I am fairly confident on the bounds of [itex]\theta[/itex], but very confused by the bounds of r.

timmastny said:
3pi/4 is 135 degrees. According the limits of integration, x only varies from 0 to [itex]\sqrt{6}[/itex]. [itex]\theta[/itex] cannot go past the limits set by x.

If [itex]\theta[/itex] varied from pi/4 to to 3pi/4 wouldn't the limits of x be different?

However, I agree it is a triangle but I think the triangle is in positive x region, and the lower side of the triangle is the line -x.
You're right. I'm trying to multitask, and not doing to well at it. θ
is exactly as you say.
timmastny said:
I am fairly confident on the bounds of [itex]\theta[/itex], but very confused by the bounds of r.
The limit for r is the vertical line x = √6. Going to polar coordinates, this is r cos(θ) = √6. You can solve this equation for r. The lower limit for r is, of course, 0.

No problem, multitasking makes breathing hard, haha.

That makes perfect sense though. That means the upper limit of integration depends on θ. So many problems in polar coordinates have static bounds, I completely forgot about that.

Thanks!

P.S. I just calculated the new integral, it is indeed correct.

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept used to find the volume under a surface defined in polar coordinates. It involves integrating over a region in the xy-plane, where the boundaries are defined by polar equations.

2. How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

In a regular double integral, the region of integration is defined by rectangular coordinates, while in a double integral in polar coordinates, the region of integration is defined by polar coordinates. This means that the limits of integration and the integrand will also be expressed in terms of polar coordinates.

3. What is the significance of the Jacobian in double integrals in polar coordinates?

The Jacobian in double integrals in polar coordinates is used to convert the integrand from the original coordinate system (rectangular) to the new coordinate system (polar). It is a factor that accounts for the change in area when converting from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates.

4. How do I set up a double integral in polar coordinates?

To set up a double integral in polar coordinates, you first need to determine the region of integration using the given polar equations. Then, you need to convert the integrand and the limits of integration from rectangular to polar coordinates using the Jacobian. Finally, you can evaluate the double integral using standard integration techniques.

5. Can a double integral in polar coordinates be used to find the area of a region?

Yes, a double integral in polar coordinates can be used to find the area of a region. This is because the volume under a surface in polar coordinates can also be interpreted as the area of the region bounded by the surface and the xy-plane. By setting the integrand to be equal to 1, the double integral will give the area of the region in question.