Double Integrals, Jacobians, Thermodynamics

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done by an Ideal Carnot engine in a cycle of alternating expansion and compression of gas. The work is equal to the area of the region R enclosed by two isothermal curves and two adiabatic curves. The solution involves transforming to u and v, finding the inverse transformation, and then using the formula for the Jacobian to find the area. The final answer is given in terms of the constant values a, b, c, and d. It is acceptable to have your work checked by others in the scientific community.
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

An important problem in thermodynamics is to find the work done by an Ideal Carnot engine. A cycle consists of alternating expansion and compression of gas in a piston. The work done by the engine is equal to the area of the region R enclosed by two isothermal curves [itex] xy = a[/itex], [itex] xy = b [/itex] and two adiabatic curves [itex] xy^{1.4} = c [/itex], [itex] xy^{1.4} = d [/itex], where [itex] 0 < a < b [/itex] and [itex] 0 < c < d [/itex]. Compute the work done by determining the area of R.

Homework Equations

[itex] \int \int f(x,y),dA = \int \int f(x(u,v),y(u,v))\frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (u,v)} du dv [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\partial (x,y)}{\partial (u,v)} = \frac{\partial x}{\partial u}\frac{\partial y}{\partial v} - \frac{\partial x}{\partial v}\frac{\partial y}{\partial u} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, transforming to u and v:
[itex] u = xy [/itex]
[itex] v = xy^{1.4} [/itex]
Now, finding the inverse transformation by solving the above equations:
[itex] x = \frac{u}{y} [/itex]
[itex] v = \frac{u}{y}y^{1.4} [/itex]
[itex] v = uy^{\frac{2}{5}} [/itex]
[itex] y^{\frac{2}{5}} = \frac{v}{u} [/itex]
[itex] y = (\frac{v}{u})^{\frac{5}{2}} [/itex]
I plugged this value into my equation for x, I won't show the work because it is hard for me to write in latex :D. This is my result:
[itex] x = \frac{u^{\frac{7}{2}}}{v^{\frac{5}{2}}} [/itex]
[itex] x(u,v) = \frac{u^{\frac{7}{2}}}{v^{\frac{5}{2}}} [/itex]
[itex] y(u,v) = \frac{v^{\frac{5}{2}}}{u^{\frac{5}{2}}} [/itex]
Next, I took the partial derivatives to find the Jacobian:
[itex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial u} = \frac{7u^{\frac{5}{2}}}{2v^{\frac{5}{2}}} [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial u} = -\frac{5v^{\frac{5}{2}}}{2u^{\frac{7}{2}}} [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\partial x}{\partial v} = -\frac{5u^{\frac{7}{2}}}{2v^{\frac{7}{2}}} [/itex]
[itex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial v} = \frac{5v^{\frac{3}{2}}}{2u^{\frac{5}{2}}} [/itex]
Then, using the formula to find the Jacobian (which I also won't include here because it would be hard to write in Latex) I found:
[itex] \frac{35}{4v} - \frac{25}{4v} [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{5}{2v} [/itex]
I know that since the problem is asking for area, the value of the function being integrated is equal to 1. So I obtained the following double integral:
[itex] \int_{c}^{d} \int_{a}^{b} \frac{5}{2v} du \hspace{1 mm} dv [/itex]
[itex] \int_{c}^{d} \frac{5b-5a}{2v}\,dv [/itex]
[itex] \frac{5b-5a}{2} \int_{c}^{d} \frac{1}{v}\,dv [/itex]
So my final answer is:
[itex] \frac{5b-5a}{2}(ln(d)-ln(c)) [/itex]
I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to check my work. I asked a few people in the chat if this was bad form (asking to have your work checked) and I was told that it was not, However, if it is frowned upon please let me know. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that it is completely acceptable to have your work checked by others. In fact, it is encouraged in the scientific community to have peer review and collaboration in order to improve and validate scientific findings.

In terms of your solution, it looks like you have followed the correct steps and your final answer seems to be correct. However, I would suggest double-checking your calculations and make sure you have accounted for all the terms in the Jacobian. Also, it might be helpful to include units in your final answer, as it represents the area of the region R.

Overall, great job on your solution and keep up the good work!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation where the function of two variables is integrated over a two-dimensional region. It is represented by a nested integral sign and is commonly used in calculus and physics to calculate the area under a curve on a two-dimensional graph.

2. How is a Jacobian used in double integrals?

A Jacobian is a mathematical concept used to transform integrals from one coordinate system to another. In the context of double integrals, it is used to convert integrals in Cartesian coordinates to integrals in polar, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates. This allows for the integration of more complex functions and makes certain calculations easier.

3. What is the significance of double integrals in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, double integrals are used to calculate the work done by a system, which is an important aspect of thermodynamic processes. This is because the work done by a system is equal to the integral of the force applied over a distance. Double integrals are also used to calculate other thermodynamic properties, such as heat transfer and energy.

4. Can double integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double integrals are commonly used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, the area under a curve in a two-dimensional graph, or the expected value of a probability distribution.

5. How do I know when to use a double integral?

A double integral is typically used when a function depends on two independent variables, and you need to find the area under the curve or the volume between a surface and a plane in a three-dimensional space. It is also commonly used when solving problems involving rates of change, such as calculating work or flux. Additionally, double integrals are used when solving optimization problems with multiple constraints.