Double Pendulum Homework: Small Angle Approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics of a double pendulum, consisting of light, inextensible strings and two particles of mass m, fixed at one end and constrained to move in a vertical plane. The equations for small angles about the equilibrium position are derived using Newton's second law and Lagrange's mechanics, with the latter providing a more efficient solution. However, the conversation also mentions difficulties in deriving the second equation using Newton's equations and asks for assistance.
zell99

Homework Statement

A double pendulum consists of light, inextensible strings, AB and BC each of length l. It is fixed at one end A and carries two particles, each of mass m, which hang under gravity. The pendulum is constrained to move in a vertical plane. The angle between the vertical and AB is [itex]\theta[/itex], which the angle between BC and the vertical is [itex]\phi[/itex]. Show for smll angles about the equilibirium position:
[itex]d^2\theta/dt^2 +g/l(2\theta -\phi)=0[/itex]
[itex]d^2\phi/dt^2 +2g/l(\phi - \theta)=0 [/itex]

Homework Equations

Newton's second law.
I shouldn't need to use Langrangian mechanics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to derive the first equation, first by assuming the tension in BC is mg (small angle approximation) then resolving forces about the top mass, and using the small angle approximation for sin. But I just can't get the second result out. I've tried to do the same this (resolving forces) but I must be making a mistake somewhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strange. I get the following for the force in the tangential direction of the mass at the end of BC:

[tex]ma = m \frac{dv}{dt} = m l \, \frac{d^2 \phi}{dt^2} = mg \sin \phi \approx mg \phi[/tex]

Rearranging gives me:

[tex]\frac{d^2 \phi}{dt^2} - \frac{g}{l} \, \phi = 0[/tex]

This does not look like what you want to show. Hmm...

Last edited:
Thnaks for the reply. I think what you're missing, and what I can't get the right value for, is that now the tension is no longer perpendicular to the gravitational force, due to the combination of strings, for the bottom mass. This will lead to an extra term but I can't get it to come out correctly.
If anyone knows I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

zell99 said:
Thnaks for the reply. I think what you're missing, and what I can't get the right value for, is that now the tension is no longer perpendicular to the gravitational force, due to the combination of strings, for the bottom mass. This will lead to an extra term but I can't get it to come out correctly.

Who said the tension is perpendicular to the graviational force? The tension is always parallel to the string.

Sorry my fault, should have been more accurate with words, (I don't think what I meant was right either). I'm still confused so if someone is able to derive or give me a hint towards the second equation I'd be really grateful.
Thanks

Anyone? please.

It's hard to say where you've made the mistake.

There's obviously more work involved using Newton's equations than Lagrange's -- therefore, you may have to post all your working for help...

(At soem point, you should have 4 equations for [tex]\ddot\theta, \dot\theta^2, \ddot\phi, \dot\phi^2[/tex] from which the tensions in terms of [tex]\ddot\theta, \ddot\phi, \theta, \phi[/tex] can be found...)

Thanks for the reply. I gave up in the end and used the Langrange.

Related to Double Pendulum Homework: Small Angle Approximation

1) What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected to each other by a rigid rod. The motion of the double pendulum is complex and can exhibit chaotic behavior depending on the initial conditions.

2) What is the small angle approximation?

The small angle approximation is a mathematical technique used to simplify the equations of motion for a double pendulum. It assumes that the angles of both pendulums are small, which allows for linearization of the equations and easier analysis of the system.

3) Why is the small angle approximation used in the study of double pendulums?

The small angle approximation is used because it allows for easier analysis of the system. Without this approximation, the equations of motion for a double pendulum become highly nonlinear and difficult to solve.

4) How does the small angle approximation affect the accuracy of the results?

The small angle approximation introduces some error in the results, as it assumes that the angles are small when in reality they may not be. However, for small angles, this error is usually negligible and does not significantly impact the overall analysis of the system.

5) What are some limitations of using the small angle approximation in the study of double pendulums?

The small angle approximation is only valid for small angles, so it cannot be used to accurately analyze systems with large initial angles. It also does not account for friction or air resistance, which can affect the motion of the pendulums in real-world systems.