Double Slit, different wavelengths change in X

In summary, the two slits are 0.158mm apart. A mixture of red light (wavelength = 665nm) and yellow-green light (wavelength = 565nm) fall onto the slits. A screen is located 2.2m away. Find the distance between the third-order red fringe and the third-order yellow-green fringe.
rss14

Homework Statement

Two slits are 0.158mm apart. A mixture of red light (wavelength = 665nm) and yellow-green light (wavelength = 565nm) fall onto the slits. A screen is located 2.2m away. Find the distance between the third-order red fringe and the third-order yellow-green fringe.

Homework Equations

Since they ask for colored fringes, and not dark ones, it must be constructive interference.

x/L = (m*λ/ d)

x = 0.000158m
L = 2.2m
m = 3 (third order fringe)

λ of red = 6.65E-7m
λ of yellow-green = 5.65E-7m

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the equation twice, once for each wavelength.

For red I got x as 2.7E-2m, and for yellow-green i got x as 2.36E-2m.

The difference between these 2 values is 0.0034mm or 3.4mm.

The answer however, is supposed to be 28mm. . .

How was I supposed to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is another question, similar concept.

Light of wavelengths 480nm and 632nm passes through two slits 0.52mm apart. How far apart are the second-order fringes on a screen 1.6m away?

rss14 said:
For red I got x as 2.7E-2m, and for yellow-green i got x as 2.36E-2m.

x for red is slightly off. Can you express the answer with one more decimal place of accuracy? I.e., 2.7_ e-2 m.

You're already in the right ballpark. I disagree with the 28 mm answer, who or what told you that is the answer?

The textbook says that in the back.

Also, the second question I posted has an answer of 7cm, according to the book.

I am going to bump this thread, hopefully my question will be answered before my test tomorrow.

You have the correct approach, but you had some round-off error in the first problem.

Both book answers are wrong. For the 1st question, 28 mm is the displacement of the 665 nm, 3rd-order fringe, not the separation of the two colored fringes.

Not sure where they got 7 cm for the 2nd problem.

Good luck on the test.

What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two small slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

How does the double slit experiment demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light?

The double slit experiment shows that light behaves both as a wave and a particle. When light passes through the two slits, it creates an interference pattern on the screen, similar to how waves interfere with each other. This indicates that light behaves as a wave. However, when the experiment is repeated with a detector at one of the slits, the interference pattern disappears, suggesting that light also behaves as a particle.

What happens when different wavelengths of light are used in the double slit experiment?

When different wavelengths of light are used in the double slit experiment, the resulting interference patterns will be different. This is because the distance between the slits and the screen is comparable to the wavelength of light, and thus, different wavelengths will produce different interference patterns.

Why do different wavelengths of light change the interference pattern in the double slit experiment?

Different wavelengths of light have different frequencies, which affect the spacing of the waves and the resulting interference pattern. This is known as the wave nature of light. The longer the wavelength, the wider the spacing between the waves and the more spread out the interference pattern will be.

How does the double slit experiment relate to other areas of science?

The double slit experiment has implications not only in physics but also in other areas of science such as quantum mechanics, optics, and even biology. It has helped scientists understand the wave-particle duality of matter and the behavior of light in different systems, leading to advancements in technology and our understanding of the world around us.