Double Slit Experiment & Relativistic Simultaneity

In summary, the behavior of particles/waves in the double slit experiment appears to be influenced by the observer, and the theory of relativity suggests that the further apart the events are, the more difficult it becomes to determine simultaneity. The act of observation also causes a collapse of the wave function, resulting in a specific location and time for the particle to exist. However, the deterministic nature of relativity and the changing system once the observer is out of view make it unlikely that relativistic simultaneity can fully explain this phenomenon.
Boeley
In the double slit experiment, an observer appears to change the behavior of the particle/wave. Would it be possible to use relativistic simultaneity to explain the change in behavior of particles/waves? A potential passing by, and being observed by an observer, causes the potential to become a particle, and once out of view again, a wave.

Physics news on Phys.org
There're two reasons why I don't think so -
1. Relativity is a deterministic theory
2. the waavefunction collapse after the 'view' you mentioned. The system is different once 'out of view'.

What is "relativistic simultaneity"?

Phrak said:
What is "relativistic simultaneity"?

I Think he meant 'the relativity of simultineity' but we can't be too certain...

Glen Bartusch said:
I Think he meant 'the relativity of simultineity' but we can't be too certain...

What else could it be? I'm really asking here, not just rhetorically posing the question.

Relativity of Simultaneity, sorry, a lot of my information on Relativity comes from "Relativity Simply Explained" by Martin Gardner and he only explained it as "simultaneity". I'm not sure where I got the "Relativistic" from.

Regardless, Gardener explains it like this:

... if two events occur simultaneously at the same spot, it can be said absolutely that they are simultaneous. ... But the greater the distance between two events, the greater the difficulty of deciding about simultaneity.

The wave function of the particle is the possible "when and wheres" that it can exist, and the act of observation results in a sort of "collision" which causes it to exists at a particular when and a particular where.

If my idea is right, then the further away you move the observer, the less certain you can be about the location of the particle/wave you are trying to measure in the experiment.

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is a famous scientific experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the interference pattern created on a screen behind the slits. This experiment has been used to study the behavior of light and other particles, and has even been adapted to demonstrate the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Double Slit Experiment relate to the concept of Relativistic Simultaneity?

The Double Slit Experiment is often used to explain the concept of Relativistic Simultaneity, which is the idea that the simultaneity of events can be relative to the observer's frame of reference. In the experiment, the interference pattern on the screen changes depending on the observer's frame of reference, demonstrating that the measurement of events can be influenced by the observer's perspective.

3. Can the Double Slit Experiment be performed with other particles besides light?

Yes, the Double Slit Experiment can be performed with other particles such as electrons, protons, and even large molecules. This demonstrates that the wave-particle duality is not unique to light and applies to all particles. In fact, this experiment has been used to study the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics and has led to significant advancements in our understanding of the microscopic world.

4. What is the significance of the Double Slit Experiment in modern physics?

The Double Slit Experiment is considered a cornerstone of modern physics. It has provided evidence for the wave-particle duality of light and other particles, which has greatly impacted our understanding of quantum mechanics. It has also been used to study the principles of relativity and has played a crucial role in the development of technologies such as quantum computing.

5. How can the Double Slit Experiment be explained using the principles of relativity?

The Double Slit Experiment can be explained using the principles of relativity by considering the observer's frame of reference. In this experiment, the interference pattern on the screen is affected by the observer's frame of reference, demonstrating that the measurement of events can be influenced by the observer's perspective. This aligns with the concept of Relativistic Simultaneity, where the perception of events can differ depending on the observer's frame of reference.