Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Experiment & Relativistic Simultaneity

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1
    In the double slit experiment, an observer appears to change the behavior of the particle/wave. Would it be possible to use relativistic simultaneity to explain the change in behavior of particles/waves? A potential passing by, and being observed by an observer, causes the potential to become a particle, and once out of view again, a wave.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2
    There're two reasons why I don't think so -
    1. Relativity is a deterministic theory
    2. the waavefunction collapse after the 'view' you mentioned. The system is different once 'out of view'.
  4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    What is "relativistic simultaneity"?
  5. Jun 24, 2010 #4
    I Think he meant 'the relativity of simultineity' but we can't be too certain...
  6. Jun 24, 2010 #5
    What else could it be? I'm really asking here, not just rhetorically posing the question.
  7. Jun 25, 2010 #6
    Relativity of Simultaneity, sorry, a lot of my information on Relativity comes from "Relativity Simply Explained" by Martin Gardner and he only explained it as "simultaneity". I'm not sure where I got the "Relativistic" from.

Regardless, Gardener explains it like this:

The wave function of the particle is the possible "when and wheres" that it can exist, and the act of observation results in a sort of "collision" which causes it to exists at a particular when and a particular where.

If my idea is right, then the further away you move the observer, the less certain you can be about the location of the particle/wave you are trying to measure in the experiment.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook