Double slit experiment with smoke particles

In summary, the conversation is discussing a double slit experiment using smoke particles with a de Broglie wavelength of 6.6e-20 meters. The goal is to estimate the separation between the fringes on a screen placed on the opposite coast of the United States. The formula 2dsin(theta)=n(lamda) is used, where d represents the slit width, theta is the apex angle, n is the number of maximums, and lamda is the wavelength. The formula can be found on Wikipedia under the "Classical wave-optics formulation" section for the double slit experiment. It helps determine the apex angle by using the width of North America as the height of a triangle.
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Suppose we wish to do a double slit experiment with a beam of the smoke particles of Example 4.1c (which is lamda=6.6e-20m). Assume we can construct a double slit whose separation is about the same size of the particles. Estimate the separation between the fringes if the double slit and the screen were on opposite coasts of the United States.

Homework Equations

2dsin(theta)=n(lamda)
lamda=h/p

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I see how they got lamda and I understand that I am looking for the separation between the fringes. And that the separation between the slits is 6.6e-20 meters. Honestly I would show work if I understood what was happening here but I am confused. I am confused on how to find theta or un less I assume n=1 but I still don't know lamda.

Physics news on Phys.org
DODGEVIPER13 said:
I still don't know lamda.
:smile: I believe you wrote ...
(which is lamda=6.6e-20m)

It seems this question is about the de Broglie wavelength associated with particles and their momentum.

Yah sorry and you are correct it is de broglies wavelength but how should I start this?

Can you explain the terms in this formula you provided?
2. Homework Equations
2dsin(theta)=n(lamda)

D is slit width is the angl found from the incident beam, the 2 comes from the distance from the second level of atoms and n stands for the number of maximums and finally lambda stands for the wavelength

DODGEVIPER13 said:
D is slit width is the angl found from the incident beam, the 2 comes from the distance from the second level of atoms and n stands for the number of maximums and finally lambda stands for the wavelength
You sound a little confused. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
The formula for maxima in the bands is explained under Classical wave-optics formulation
The formula enables you to find sinθ, the apex angle of a long thin triangle of height equalling the width of north America.

FAQ: Double slit experiment with smoke particles

1. What is the double slit experiment with smoke particles?

The double slit experiment with smoke particles is a thought experiment that demonstrates the principles of wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics. It involves a beam of light passing through two slits and interacting with smoke particles, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double slit experiment with smoke particles demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The experiment shows that particles can also behave like waves, and waves can also behave like particles. The smoke particles behave like particles by passing through the slits, but they also create an interference pattern like waves do. This suggests that particles have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

3. What does the interference pattern in the double slit experiment with smoke particles tell us?

The interference pattern shows that the smoke particles are behaving like waves, and this indicates that they are not confined to a single path. Instead, they can exist in multiple places at once, a characteristic known as superposition.

4. How does the double slit experiment with smoke particles relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is not possible to know both the position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In the double slit experiment, the interference pattern is created because the exact path of the smoke particles cannot be determined, as they exist in a state of superposition.

5. Can the double slit experiment with smoke particles be applied to real-life situations?

While the double slit experiment with smoke particles is a thought experiment, the principles of wave-particle duality and superposition have been observed in many real-life situations, such as in the behavior of subatomic particles. Understanding these concepts is crucial for advancements in fields like quantum computing and cryptography.