1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit experiment with smoke particles

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we wish to do a double slit experiment with a beam of the smoke particles of Example 4.1c (which is lamda=6.6e-20m). Assume we can construct a double slit whose seperation is about the same size of the particles. Estimate the seperation between the fringes if the double slit and the screen were on opposite coasts of the United States.

2. Relevant equations
    2dsin(theta)=n(lamda)
    lamda=h/p

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I see how they got lamda and I understand that I am looking for the seperation between the fringes. And that the seperation between the slits is 6.6e-20 meters. Honestly I would show work if I understood what was happening here but im confused. I am confused on how to find theta or un less I assume n=1 but I still dont know lamda.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

:smile: I believe you wrote .....
    It seems this question is about the de Broglie wavelength associated with particles and their momentum.

4. Sep 27, 2012 #3
    Yah sorry and you are correct it is de broglies wavelength but how should I start this?

5. Sep 28, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Can you explain the terms in this formula you provided?

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5
    D is slit width is the angl found from the incident beam, the 2 comes from the distance from the second level of atoms and n stands for the number of maximums and finally lambda stands for the wavelength

7. Sep 30, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

You sound a little confused. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
    The formula for maxima in the bands is explained under Classical wave-optics formulation
    The formula enables you to find sinθ, the apex angle of a long thin triangle of height equalling the width of north America.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook