Double slit interference pattern

In summary, the number of maxima observed in the angular range -30 degrees < theta < 30 degrees is 320, which corresponds to a total of 640 maxima. However, if the range is changed to -0.001 degrees < theta < 0.001 degrees, then the number of maxima will be different, highlighting the importance of being specific in defining the range for which the number of maxima is being calculated.
svitak

Homework Statement

Two slits are separated by 0.320 mm. A beam of 500-nm light strikes the slits, producing an interference pattern. Determine the number of maxima observed in the angular range -30 degrees < theta < 30 degrees.

Homework Equations

d*sin(theta) = m*(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

(.32)sin(30)/.0005mm = m
m=320

so there are 320 maxima in 30 degrees. and thus 640 in this total range. is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems fine to me.

There is a problem.
What if it's from -0.001 degrees to 0.001 degrees? Find m corresponding to that case and you will find out what you missed :wink:

hikaru1221 said:
There is a problem.
What if it's from -0.001 degrees to 0.001 degrees? Find m corresponding to that case and you will find out what you missed :wink:

I think your comment has weight...but the range of visibility of this diffraction pattern are already set in place...namely between 30 and -30 degrees. OP, correct me if I'm mistaken in my interpretation of your problem statement, please.

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at. But, I'm pretty sure it is meant to be strictly limited to 30 and -30.

No, I mean, what if the question asks for the number of maxima in another range. Just replace -30 with -0.001 and 30 with 0.001, solve the problem again, and you will see why.

1. What is a double slit interference pattern?

A double slit interference pattern is a phenomenon that occurs when light or other waves pass through two parallel narrow slits and interfere with each other, creating a pattern of light and dark bands on a screen.

2. How is a double slit interference pattern formed?

A double slit interference pattern is formed when light or other waves pass through two parallel narrow slits. The waves diffract as they pass through the slits and overlap with each other, creating regions of constructive and destructive interference.

3. What factors can affect a double slit interference pattern?

The width of the slits, the distance between the slits, and the wavelength of the waves passing through the slits can all affect the formation of a double slit interference pattern. Additionally, the distance between the slits and the screen, as well as the intensity and coherence of the waves, can also have an impact.

4. What is the significance of a double slit interference pattern?

A double slit interference pattern is significant because it demonstrates the wave nature of light and other waves. It also provides valuable insights into the principles of diffraction and interference, which are essential in many fields of science, such as optics and quantum mechanics.

5. Can a double slit interference pattern be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, a double slit interference pattern can be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves and water waves. This further supports the idea that the phenomenon is a result of the wave nature of light and other waves.