1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double slit interference pattern

1. Aug 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two slits are separated by 0.320 mm. A beam of 500-nm light strikes the slits, producing an interference pattern. Determine the number of maxima observed in the angular range -30 degrees < theta < 30 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

d*sin(theta) = m*(lambda)

3. The attempt at a solution

(.32)sin(30)/.0005mm = m
    m=320

so there are 320 maxima in 30 degrees. and thus 640 in this total range. is that right?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2010 #2
    Seems fine to me.

4. Aug 19, 2010 #3
    There is a problem.
    What if it's from -0.001 degrees to 0.001 degrees? Find m corresponding to that case and you will find out what you missed :wink:

5. Aug 19, 2010 #4
    I think your comment has weight...but the range of visibility of this diffraction pattern are already set in place...namely between 30 and -30 degrees. OP, correct me if I'm mistaken in my interpretation of your problem statement, please.

6. Aug 20, 2010 #5
    I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at. But, I'm pretty sure it is meant to be strictly limited to 30 and -30.

7. Aug 20, 2010 #6
    No, I mean, what if the question asks for the number of maxima in another range. Just replace -30 with -0.001 and 30 with 0.001, solve the problem again, and you will see why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook