1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Interference

1. Aug 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the wavelength of 550nm and the distance (d) of 0.120mm. I need to calculate the the angle q.
    The diffirent parts of this questions corresponds to the diffirent order of n. a) Being n=1 b) n=5 c) n=10

Given variables;
    Wavelength = 550nm = 550*10^-9m
    d=0.120mm = 0.00012m
    n1= 1
    n2= 5
    n2 = 10

2. Relevant equations
    The relevant equation for this is;

d*sin0 = n*Wavelength
    0 = sin((n*Wavelength)/d))

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted the solution to this and my real problem is that I have got no idea how to get the answer to Degrees. I'd really like to see someone do this so I can see what you do and how I should think.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What answers are you getting? You have the correct formula if you are using the inverse sine function.

4. Aug 15, 2008 #3
    The answer im getting is like 0.004[insert alot of numbers here]
    The answer it's supposed to be is 29degrees.

The question is; How do I get the answer that I got 0.004(something) to degrees?
    You try it and we can see how you do it.

The answer is supposed to be 29degrees.

5. Aug 15, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, going through myself I can get nowhere near the answer. The only thing I can think of is the slit distance should be about 1.1 micrometres to get 29 degrees for the first order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?