What is the missing variable in the double slit interference pattern?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of laser light of wavelength 517 nm to produce an interference pattern on a screen 87.5 cm from two identical slits. The bright bands are 1.15 cm apart, and the third bright bands on either side of the central maximum are missing in the pattern. The question asks for the slit width (a) and the distance between the centers of the slits (d). The relevant equation used is dsinθ = mλ, and the calculated value for d is 3.93x10^(-5)m. The missing of the third bright bands leads to the determination of the slit width.
CricK0es

Homework Statement

Laser light of wavelength 517 nm illuminates two identical slits, producing an interference pattern on a screen 87.5 cm from the slits. The bright bands are 1.15 cm apart, and the third bright bands on either side of the central maximum are missing in the pattern.

a.) Find the slit width, a
b.) Find the distance between their centres, d

Homework Equations

dsinθ = mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly sure I can do b, it's just a bit of trig. But I'm wondering how one would find a. I understand the slit width has to be comparable to the wavelength for diffraction to occur, but I'm wondering if this question demands something a little more methodical.

Many thanks

-- Yeah I got 3.93x10^(-5)m for d and that is correct [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
CricK0es said:
and the third bright bands on either side of the central maximum are missing in the pattern.
You'll have to figure out what that means, it will lead to the slit width.

Likes CricK0es

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic demonstration of the wave-particle duality of light and other particles. It involves sending a beam of particles, such as photons or electrons, through two parallel slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the slit width affect the interference pattern?

The slit width directly affects the spacing and intensity of the interference pattern. As the slit width decreases, the interference pattern becomes wider and the fringes become less distinct. This is due to the diffraction of the particles as they pass through the slits, creating a wider spread of the particle's wave function.

3. What happens to the interference pattern when the slit width is increased?

As the slit width is increased, the interference pattern becomes narrower and the fringes become more distinct. This is because wider slits allow for less diffraction and a more focused beam of particles, resulting in a narrower interference pattern.

4. Can the interference pattern be completely eliminated by changing the slit width?

No, the interference pattern cannot be completely eliminated by changing the slit width. It can only be modified. This is because the particle's wave function will always undergo some level of diffraction as it passes through the slits, resulting in an interference pattern.

5. Is there an optimal slit width for producing the most distinct interference pattern?

Yes, there is an optimal slit width for producing the most distinct interference pattern. This optimal width depends on the wavelength of the particles being used. For example, for electrons with a wavelength of 500 nanometers, the optimal slit width would be around 100 nanometers.