Best Dover Calculus Books Beyond Calc II

In summary, there are several recommended books for advanced calculus such as "Advanced Calculus: Second Edition" by Widder, "Advanced Calculus of Several Variables" by Edwards, "A Course in Advanced Calculus" by Borden, "Advanced Calculus" by Friedman, and "Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry" by Gersting. However, the conversation also mentions that the person likes Widder's book the most. When it comes to books on differential equations, it is suggested to first study ODE's before moving on to PDE's. "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Tenenbaum is highly recommended as it is considered useful and not just focused on impressing professors or students.
rnabioullin
Any recommendations on which Dover calculus books I should acquire that are past the typical "Calculus II" curriculum? Some of them appear to overlap significantly. I have considered the following books:
  • Advanced Calculus of Several Variables (Edwards)
  • Advanced Calculus: Second Edition (Widder)
  • A Course in Advanced Calculus (Borden)
  • Advanced Calculus (Friedman)
  • Technical Calculus with Analytic Geometry (Gersting)

Physics news on Phys.org
I like the one by widder. I haven't looked at the others so they could be good too for all I know.

widder is a classic. old fashioned and solid. when i aspired to take honors advanced calculus from loomis he told me i needed to know things like the fact that a continuous function has a max on a closed bounded interval. i checked out widder from the library and read it there, then took the course.

Last edited:
What about books on differential equations? I was thinking of:

1. Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers (Farlow)
  2. Ordinary Differential Equations (Tenenbaum)

rnabioullin said:
What about books on differential equations? I was thinking of:

1. Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers (Farlow)
  2. Ordinary Differential Equations (Tenenbaum)
You wouldn't need a book on PDE's till you study ODE's first.
The book by Tenenbaum is excellent, and I daresay, it's one of the only ODE texts out there that are useful(i.e. it doesn't focus on making the book attractive for professors to use or it doesn't focus on trying to impress students which really seems like what most ODE texts do).

1. What are the top recommended Dover calculus books for advanced study beyond Calculus II?

Some of the most highly recommended Dover calculus books for advanced study beyond Calculus II include "Advanced Calculus" by Lynn H. Loomis and Shlomo Sternberg, "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex, and "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart.

2. Are there any Dover calculus books specifically focused on applications and real-world problem-solving?

Yes, there are several Dover calculus books that focus on applications and real-world problem-solving, such as "Calculus with Applications" by Peter D. Lax and Maria Shea Terrell, "Calculus and Its Applications" by Marvin L. Bittinger and David J. Ellenbogen, and "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William L. Briggs and Lyle Cochran.

3. Can these Dover calculus books be used as standalone textbooks or should they be used as supplemental materials?

Most of these Dover calculus books can be used as standalone textbooks, especially for self-study or advanced study beyond Calculus II. However, they can also serve as excellent supplemental materials for students taking a calculus course in college.

4. Are there any Dover calculus books that cover topics beyond multivariable calculus?

Yes, there are a few Dover calculus books that cover topics beyond multivariable calculus, such as "Introduction to Differential Geometry" by Daniel K. Biss, "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations" by Peter J. Olver, and "Calculus of Variations" by I. M. Gelfand and S. V. Fomin.

5. Are these Dover calculus books suitable for all levels of students, from beginners to advanced learners?

While some of these Dover calculus books may be more suitable for advanced learners, many of them can also be helpful for beginners. It is important to carefully read the descriptions and reviews of each book to determine the appropriate level for your specific needs and knowledge in calculus.