Downhill Skier: Calculating Resultant Forces

• Thread starter ruzoo
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the resultant of the forces acting on a 60kg skier moving down a 30 degree slope in a tuck position. The air resistance on the skier is 10 Newtons and the coefficient of dynamic friction between the skis and the snow is 0.08. The skier's weight is converted into mass and the vertical and horizontal components of the forces are calculated. To solve for the resultant, the one-dimensional problem is reduced to parallel to the hill and a vector sum of the known forces is performed. The process for solving this problem is similar to the one described in the additional question.
ruzoo
Please Help ASAP: Downhill Skier Question

Here is the question:

"A 60kg skier is in a tuck and moving straight down a 30 degree slope. Air resistance pushes backward on the skier with a force of 10 Newtons. The coefficient of dynamic friction between the skis and the snow is 0.08. What is the resultant of the forces that act on the skier?"

This is what I have done:

Made a right angle triangle with the hypoteneuse at a 30 degree angle and the skier coming down the hypoteneuse. Converted skier's weight into mass: 588 N. Calculated the vertical component of the triangle (5 N, which is the Fn?) and the horizontal component (8.7 N, which is the parallel force?). I drew an arrow with a force of 10 N acting parallel against the slope (hypot) acting against the skier. I am stuck as of here and how to calcultate the resulting forces.:bugeye:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In Addition...

I was also told to try and redo this problem by making my hill or slope be the x axis...I guess draw a tilted axis diagram to make the forces opposing the skier one value...but that confused me a little.

First off, you converted the skier's mass into weight.

Second - when you talk about "vertical" and "horizontal", do you mean that literally or are you speaking with respect to the plane? Normally in the latter case we talk about "parallel to the plane" and "perpendicular to the plane".

I'll assume the latter is what you meant. You have the skier's weight component perpendicular to the plane - this means you know the normal force, or should. From the normal force and the coefficient of friction you can get the frictional force. You know that the normal force will cancel the perpendicular component of the weight, so you can reduce this to a one-dimensional problem, parallel to the hill. You can get the net force, then, by doing a vector sum on the forces you know - which is the answer for which you're looking.

As to your addition - I will confess I'm puzzled. If I'm reading the question correctly, then that's exactly what you'd do to answer the first one. So either I'm not reading it right or I'm missing something about the first one.

Anyway - does this help any?

1. What is the purpose of a downhill skier question?

The purpose of a downhill skier question is to determine the speed at which a person skis downhill. This information is important for safety reasons and to improve skiing technique.

2. How is a downhill skier question conducted?

A downhill skier question is typically conducted by using a radar gun or timing device to measure the speed of the skier as they descend a designated slope. The skier may also be asked to self-report their speed or have their speed recorded by a coach or observer.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a downhill skier question?

The speed of a downhill skier can be affected by various factors such as the steepness of the slope, snow conditions, equipment used, wind speed, and the skier's level of skill and technique.

4. What is considered a fast speed for a downhill skier?

The average speed for a recreational downhill skier is around 25-30 miles per hour, while professional skiers can reach speeds of up to 80 miles per hour. However, the speed can vary greatly depending on the individual's skill level and the factors mentioned above.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken during a downhill skier question?

Yes, it is important to always follow safety precautions while conducting a downhill skier question. This may include wearing appropriate protective gear, choosing a designated and safe slope, and having a trained professional or coach present to monitor the skier's speed and technique.