Drag coefficent of a person on a slide

  • Thread starter Thread starter Uricucu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drag Slide
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Uricucu
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Hi! Does anyone know what drag coefficient has a person in a water slide? I've only found for full vertical/horizontal body, but not for a person in a water slide, considering it has a slope. Related to that, the cross area of a person can be calculated?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That is a difficult question. People come in all shapes and sizes. They can sit or bend their bodies in many ways. I think the best you can hope for is a range of values and the extremes of the range may be the same as the full vertical/horizontal body that you already found.

I would try to contact the engineers who designed existing water slides, rather than asking general questions on the Internet.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Uricucu
Uricucu said:
Does anyone know what drag coefficient has a person in a water slide?
Depending on what you want the number for, I'd just start by estimating the terminal velocity of people on water slides similar to what you have in mind. Just watch a few videos an estimate their velocity versus time as they start down the slide, and then reach terminal velocity before the bottom section...
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Uricucu, russ_watters and anorlunda
berkeman said:
Just watch a few videos an estimate their velocity versus time as they start down the slide, and then reach terminal velocity before the bottom section...
Oh, I like that. Much more practical and helpful than my reply.
 
Uricucu said:
Hi! Does anyone know what drag coefficient has a person in a water slide? I've only found for full vertical/horizontal body, but not for a person in a water slide, considering it has a slope. Related to that, the cross area of a person can be calculated?
I'd assume zero. It's probably not far from true and is the safest value you can assume.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Uricucu
anorlunda said:
That is a difficult question. People come in all shapes and sizes. They can sit or bend their bodies in many ways. I think the best you can hope for is a range of values and the extremes of the range may be the same as the full vertical/horizontal body that you already found.

I would try to contact the engineers who designed existing water slides, rather than asking general questions on the Internet.

Sure I have contacted some companies to know that kind of details and I have hardly received any response... it's a shame. I'll bet for the range you advised me, thanks.
 
berkeman said:
Depending on what you want the number for, I'd just start by estimating the terminal velocity of people on water slides similar to what you have in mind. Just watch a few videos an estimate their velocity versus time as they start down the slide, and then reach terminal velocity before the bottom section...

Good idea, I will look for some popular slides and estimate the velocity, thanks!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman