Drag coefficent of a person on a slide

In summary: Much more practical and helpful than my reply.In summary, the drag coefficient for a person in a water slide is probably zero. The cross area of a person can be calculated by multiplying the length of the person by the width of the person.
Uricucu
Hi! Does anyone know what drag coefficient has a person in a water slide? I've only found for full vertical/horizontal body, but not for a person in a water slide, considering it has a slope. Related to that, the cross area of a person can be calculated?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is a difficult question. People come in all shapes and sizes. They can sit or bend their bodies in many ways. I think the best you can hope for is a range of values and the extremes of the range may be the same as the full vertical/horizontal body that you already found.

I would try to contact the engineers who designed existing water slides, rather than asking general questions on the Internet.

Likes Uricucu
Uricucu said:
Does anyone know what drag coefficient has a person in a water slide?
Depending on what you want the number for, I'd just start by estimating the terminal velocity of people on water slides similar to what you have in mind. Just watch a few videos an estimate their velocity versus time as they start down the slide, and then reach terminal velocity before the bottom section...

• Informative
Likes Uricucu, russ_watters and anorlunda
berkeman said:
Just watch a few videos an estimate their velocity versus time as they start down the slide, and then reach terminal velocity before the bottom section...
Oh, I like that. Much more practical and helpful than my reply.

Uricucu said:
Hi! Does anyone know what drag coefficient has a person in a water slide? I've only found for full vertical/horizontal body, but not for a person in a water slide, considering it has a slope. Related to that, the cross area of a person can be calculated?
I'd assume zero. It's probably not far from true and is the safest value you can assume.

Likes Uricucu
anorlunda said:
That is a difficult question. People come in all shapes and sizes. They can sit or bend their bodies in many ways. I think the best you can hope for is a range of values and the extremes of the range may be the same as the full vertical/horizontal body that you already found.

I would try to contact the engineers who designed existing water slides, rather than asking general questions on the Internet.

Sure I have contacted some companies to know that kind of details and I have hardly received any response... it's a shame. I'll bet for the range you advised me, thanks.

berkeman said:
Depending on what you want the number for, I'd just start by estimating the terminal velocity of people on water slides similar to what you have in mind. Just watch a few videos an estimate their velocity versus time as they start down the slide, and then reach terminal velocity before the bottom section...

Good idea, I will look for some popular slides and estimate the velocity, thanks!

Likes berkeman

Related to Drag coefficent of a person on a slide

1. What is the drag coefficient of a person on a slide?

The drag coefficient of a person on a slide is a measure of the resistance that the person experiences while sliding down the slide. It is influenced by factors such as the person's size, shape, and speed.

2. How is the drag coefficient of a person on a slide calculated?

The drag coefficient of a person on a slide is calculated by dividing the drag force acting on the person by the product of the air density, the person's frontal area, and the square of their velocity.

3. What is the average drag coefficient of a person on a slide?

The average drag coefficient of a person on a slide can vary depending on the specific slide and person, but it is typically around 1.2-1.5. This means that the drag force acting on the person is 1.2-1.5 times greater than their weight.

4. How does the drag coefficient of a person on a slide affect their speed?

The higher the drag coefficient of a person on a slide, the more resistance they will experience and the slower their speed will be. This is why smaller, more aerodynamic people tend to slide faster than larger, less aerodynamic people.

5. Can the drag coefficient of a person on a slide be reduced?

Yes, the drag coefficient of a person on a slide can be reduced by changing their body position to be more streamlined, or by using materials that reduce friction on the slide. However, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and not compromise safety for the sake of reducing drag coefficient.