Exploring the Effects of Viscosity on 2D Flow Drag

In summary, D'Alembert's paradox explains why in inviscid flow, there is no drag on a cylinder. However, in reality, there is drag due to the presence of a boundary layer and wake. This paradox also applies to airfoils, but the Kutta condition is used to account for this and calculate drag. In an inviscid flow, there is only pressure drag, but no friction drag due to the absence of a boundary layer.
Robin04
Hi!

I'm a bit confused about the source of drag in a 2D flow (actually I'm talking about air). I heard that if the viscosity of a fluid is 0 then there is no drag at all (no pressure and no friction drag). I think I understand why viscosity affects friction drag, but why does it have an effect on pressure drag? For example if we look at an airfoil, at the leading edge near the stagnation point there is a little overpressure because the air slows down near that point and this causes the pressure drag. I don't understand why this overpressure depends on the viscosity of the fluid.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you are describing is called D'Alembert's paradox. Basically, in potential flow (inviscid flow), the around a cylinder (a circle in 2-D) produces no drag. The pressure at the surface is symmetric in the front and back. Any shape that can be conformally mapped to a circle will give the same answer (so just about any shape you dream up). Of course, we know from measurements that the flow around a cylinder that there is drag. The reason is due to the presence of the boundary layer, which separates and leads to a wake, and the pressure is no longer symmetric around the circle, leading to drag. However, if you ignore viscosity, there is no boundary layer, thus no wake, thus no pressure difference.

Now, when it comes to airfoils, the situation is a little more fun. Clearly you can calculate lift and nonzero (though inaccurate) drag from inviscid theory, but D'Alembert's paradox would seem to imply that it should be zero. When an airfoil moves through a viscous fluid, the boundary layer on the top and bottom typically remains attached along the length and only separates when it meets the sharp trailing edge (or a trailing edge with a sufficiently abrupt corner). If you put the same shape at angle of attack in an inviscid flow, the stagnation point at the trailing edge would be somewhere upstream of that corner on the upper surface and you would measure zero drag. This is overcome by mathematically enforcing the stagnation point at the actual trailing edge (as viscosity would dictate), which is known as the Kutta condition. That way, you can run an inviscid simulation but simulate that one aspect of viscosity in order to get a nonzero answer.

That said, calculating drag on most objects is still rather innaccurate.

Likes Robin04
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

So if I understand it right, in the case of analysing an airfoil at a higher angle of attack in an inviscid flow I get only pressure drag by putting the stagnation point to the trailing edge, and no friction drag due to 0 viscosity?

Pressure drag is like the difference in net force between the front and the back.

Fluid that flows around quickly and without resistance makes this force smaller.

Fluid that flows around slowly leaves a smaller pressure behind the object creating a net pressure difference between front and back.

Robin04 said:
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

So if I understand it right, in the case of analysing an airfoil at a higher angle of attack in an inviscid flow I get only pressure drag by putting the stagnation point to the trailing edge, and no friction drag due to 0 viscosity?

Correct.

1. What is the definition of viscosity?

Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is a property of a fluid that describes how easily it can be deformed and how resistant it is to shearing forces. In simpler terms, it is a measure of how thick or sticky a fluid is.

2. How does viscosity affect 2D flow drag?

Viscosity plays a crucial role in determining the drag force experienced by an object moving through a fluid. In 2D flow, higher viscosity results in a thicker boundary layer around the object, leading to increased drag. This is because the fluid particles in the boundary layer move at a slower pace, creating a drag force that opposes the motion of the object.

3. What factors influence the viscosity of a fluid?

The viscosity of a fluid is influenced by several factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical composition of the fluid. Generally, higher temperatures decrease viscosity, while higher pressure and more complex molecular structures tend to increase viscosity.

4. How can the effects of viscosity on 2D flow drag be measured?

The effects of viscosity on 2D flow drag can be measured through experimental methods, such as using a rheometer to measure the viscosity of the fluid at different shear rates. Additionally, computational fluid dynamics simulations can also be used to study the effects of viscosity on drag in a 2D flow.

5. Can the effects of viscosity on 2D flow drag be reduced or eliminated?

The effects of viscosity on 2D flow drag cannot be completely eliminated, but they can be reduced by using techniques such as laminar flow control or adding substances known as drag-reducing polymers to the fluid. These methods can help decrease the thickness of the boundary layer and reduce drag on the object moving through the fluid.