Drawing a picture using math equations

In summary, you can use Graph 4.3 to plot multiple functions with different domains on the same graph.
Matt1234
Hello everyone,

I have an assignemnt where I have to use various transformed equations to draw a picture. I will be doing things like restricting the domain to control lengths. I was wondering if there were any computer programs that would plot equations and give me equations for lines so i didnt have to draw them by hand all the time. The functions i will be using are:

- trig functions (sine, cos tan)
- polynomial fcns
- rational functions
- exponential fcns
- log fcns

Remember the program must allow me to restrict domain PER function and graph the above fcns. If there is anything you could recommend id appreciate it, i have a college and university computer system i have access to use, so I am sure they have some of the more expensive software.

Thank you!

Also, any ideas on what to draw are welcomed! i will post it when I am all done with it. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica does this easily using http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/functions/Boole if you don't want 0.
I believe you should be able to do similar work in Maxima using the boolean expressions.

Last edited by a moderator:
i heard of mathematica ill see if i can give that a try. :)

Ok i check the school, they have mathematica V 7.0, although it isn't very easy to learn how to use. Is there an easy way i can imput these graphs and restrict the domain and have it plot all of it on the same graph?

I learned that i will need to use the command Plot[f, {x, xmin, xmax }]

where f is the function and x min and max are the restriction on domain, but i don't see a command line to enter it in.
Thanks.

Edit: this works and can be edited.
Plot[2 x, {x, -5, 5}]

Now i would like to plot several functions with different domain

Last edited:
Matt1234 said:
Edit: this works and can be edited.
Plot[2 x, {x, -5, 5}]

Now i would like to plot several functions with different domain

Suppose you wanted to plot y = 2x with domain [0, 1] and y = 3x with domain [3, 4] on the same graph. You can use the following expression:
Code:
Plot[2 x Boole[0 <= x <= 1] + 3 x Boole[3 <= x <= 4], {x, 0, 4}]
This will plot the expression as one graph on the same plot. In order to get different colors/labels for the two expressions, you will want to use a list of plots:
Code:
Plot[{2 x Boole[0 <= x <= 1], 3 x Boole[3 <= x <= 4]}, {x, 0, 4}]
Browse through the help documentation provided with Mathematica through the help menu. It is quite extensive. Ie., if you highlight a command in the notebook and press F1, the help for that command will open in a new window.

Thank you for your help.

I was trying to add on more to your command.

Plot[2 x Boole[0 <= x <= 1] + Cos x Boole[-10 <= x <= 10], {x, -10, 10}]

I added on a 3rd equation which worked but the command above didnt show me the actual graph it showed me the axis but it was empty. I will be doing this with a string of about 20 equations or so, is this the best way to do it?

Also, I noticed that {x, 0, 4} restricts the size of the x axis, is there a way to do the same with the y, while plotting all these graphs?

Thanks again.

arithmetix said:
I run XP, and in a few seconds I was just now able to download Graph 4.3 from http://www.padowan.dk/graph/Download.php. It is very easy to use and will be great for your job.

Perfect! I could not thank you enough, this will do everything i need in an easy manner.

What is the purpose of drawing a picture using math equations?

Drawing a picture using math equations allows us to use mathematical principles and techniques to create visual representations of data, concepts, and ideas. It can also help us better understand and analyze complex mathematical concepts.

What are some common tools used for drawing pictures with math equations?

Some commonly used tools for drawing pictures with math equations include graphing calculators, computer software such as GeoGebra and Desmos, and programming languages like MATLAB and Python.

Can anyone learn how to draw a picture using math equations?

Yes, anyone can learn how to draw a picture using math equations. It may require some basic math skills and knowledge, but with practice and patience, anyone can become proficient in creating mathematical drawings.

Are there any benefits to using math equations for drawing pictures?

Yes, there are several benefits to using math equations for drawing pictures. It allows for precise and accurate representations, can help with problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and can enhance visual learning and understanding of mathematical concepts.

What are some examples of real-world applications for drawing pictures using math equations?

Some examples of real-world applications for drawing pictures using math equations include data visualization in fields such as economics, science, and engineering, creating geometric designs in art and architecture, and modeling and simulating complex systems in various industries.