Deriving the Minimum Tension for a Particle on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the tension in a rope is affected by the angle of the string and the friction coefficient. If the angle is not zero, the tension has two components. The upward component of the pulling force is Fsin(theta).
Jadenag
Okay on question two i can only get as far as drawing fbd for the particle. I realize I need to get sin/cos for tan but don't really know how to get there.

question three i have no idea. I don't understand. if the string is at an angle then does that mean tension has two components? If so then the vertical component the tsinx component what happens to this?

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org

Here is a hint on Q2:

Draw a free body diagram and note that if the angle of the rope is not zero, the friction force changes to mgu-Fsin(theta). Fsin(theta) is the upward component of the pulling force. Now write an equation that represents the free body diagram. Since a minimum is sought, that implies some calculus is needed. In my above equation, m is mass, g is gravity acceleration, u is friction coefficient, and F is the tension in the rope.

LawrenceC said:
Here is a hint on Q2:

Draw a free body diagram and note that if the angle of the rope is not zero, the friction force changes to mgu-Fsin(theta). Fsin(theta) is the upward component of the pulling force. Now write an equation that represents the free body diagram. Since a minimum is sought, that implies some calculus is needed. In my above equation, m is mass, g is gravity acceleration, u is friction coefficient, and F is the tension in the rope.

Im sorry I don't understand

I have made two equations.
TSinθ + R= mg (i)
TCosθ = μ2(R)

I don't know where to go from here?

You are heading in the right direction. In your second equation substitute the function for R that you have in the first equation. Once you've done this you have a function that represents the tension in terms of theta and friction coefficient because R has been eliminated. Put T on left side of equation and all the other parts to right of equals mark.

Now, since the question asks for the minimum, you find it by taking the derivative with respect to theta. Set the derivative to zero and you'll see that much of what remains can be removed because of the 0 on the right hand side of equation. Once you've done this, you'll end up with what is requested.

To be complete, you must prove that what you have is a minimum. That necessitates taking the second derivative of the original function for tension and showing that it is positive. This would prove that you have a minimum.

I am traveling today so this is all the help I can supply.

LawrenceC said:
You are heading in the right direction. In your second equation substitute the function for R that you have in the first equation. Once you've done this you have a function that represents the tension in terms of theta and friction coefficient because R has been eliminated. Put T on left side of equation and all the other parts to right of equals mark.

Now, since the question asks for the minimum, you find it by taking the derivative with respect to theta. Set the derivative to zero and you'll see that much of what remains can be removed because of the 0 on the right hand side of equation. Once you've done this, you'll end up with what is requested.

To be complete, you must prove that what you have is a minimum. That necessitates taking the second derivative of the original function for tension and showing that it is positive. This would prove that you have a minimum.

I am traveling today so this is all the help I can supply.

Got it! Thanks!

1. What is a free body diagram (FBD)?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on a single particle or object. It helps to analyze and understand the motion of the particle by showing the direction and magnitude of all the forces.

2. Why is drawing an FBD important?

Drawing an FBD is important because it allows us to break down complex systems into simpler parts, making it easier to analyze the forces acting on each individual particle. It also helps to identify any missing or unaccounted forces that may affect the motion of the particle.

3. How do I draw an FBD for a particle?

To draw an FBD for a particle, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the particle. These can include gravity, normal force, friction, tension, and applied forces. Then, draw a dot to represent the particle and draw arrows representing each force, labeling them with their respective magnitudes and directions.

4. What are the key components of an FBD?

The key components of an FBD include the particle, the coordinate axes, and the labeled arrows representing the forces acting on the particle. It is important to also include a scale for the forces and to label the direction of each force vector.

5. Can an FBD be used for a moving particle?

Yes, an FBD can be used for a moving particle. In this case, the forces acting on the particle may change as it moves, so it is important to redraw the FBD at different points in its motion to accurately represent the changing forces. Additionally, the FBD can help determine the acceleration and net force acting on the particle at any given moment.