Drawing the lattice curves of a transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing lattice lines for a transformation with the equations x=se^t and y=se^-t. The individual attempts at solving for the transformation result in different graphs, with varying values of C. The speaker also discusses using WolframAlpha and a TI-84 calculator to graph the equations, with some limitations and discrepancies in the resulting graphs. The conversation ends with questions about the behavior of the graph for certain values of C.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Draw the lattice lines for the following transformation.

[itex]x=se^t[/itex]
[itex]y=se^-t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to draw this transformation. So first thing I did was let t be constant. I then used substitution to show that [itex]x=ye^{2c}[/itex]. This is the set of all lines (as C is changed) with a positive slope that go through the origin, if I am not mistaken, which is the transform of the 'S' lattice of the grid.

For the next step I let S be constant, and used substitution to get what I think should be...
[itex]x=Ce^{-\frac{lny}{lnC}}[/itex], and this would be the transform of the 't' lattice, if I did that right.

What am I looking at here?

I used wolframalpha to graph several instances of this, with C = 1,2 and 3, and seemed to give me wildly different graphs each time. Did I do that right? It seems like C=1,2 are hyperbolas with their asymptotes along the x and y axes, but C = 3 gives me something I've never seen before. Sort of like a hyperbola, but one of the sides has been flipped into a different quadrant.

Any push in the right direction would be helpful, thanks.

EDIT: I just realized that C can't be 1 right? because ln C would be 0, and that would make the denominator 0 in the exponent part of the equation...? Also I tried to graph it with my TI-84, but it only gave me the portion of the graph in the first quadrant. Why is that?

EDIT: Also, my graphing calculator gets funky when I graph this equation for C=1/4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. It draws the hyperbola but then it cuts off after a certain point, where it should keep going. Why is this happening?

FAQ: Drawing the lattice curves of a transformation

1. What is a lattice curve?

A lattice curve is a geometric curve that is generated by a transformation of a basic unit cell in a lattice structure. It is used to represent the periodicity and symmetry of the lattice.

2. How do you draw a lattice curve?

To draw a lattice curve, you first need to determine the basic unit cell of the lattice and the transformation that is applied to it. Then, you can use this information to generate points on the curve and connect them to form the curve.

3. What is the purpose of drawing lattice curves?

The purpose of drawing lattice curves is to visually represent the periodicity and symmetry of a lattice structure. It is also useful for understanding the behavior and properties of the lattice under different transformations.

4. Can lattice curves be used to study crystal structures?

Yes, lattice curves are commonly used in the study of crystal structures. They can provide valuable information about the arrangement of atoms in a crystal lattice and the symmetry of the structure.

5. Are there any software programs that can help with drawing lattice curves?

Yes, there are various software programs, such as CrystalMaker and VESTA, that can assist with drawing lattice curves. These programs have built-in tools for generating and visualizing lattice structures and their corresponding curves.

Back