1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing the lattice curves of a transformation

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Draw the lattice lines for the following transformation.

[itex]x=se^t[/itex]
    [itex]y=se^-t[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Trying to draw this transformation. So first thing I did was let t be constant. I then used substitution to show that [itex]x=ye^{2c}[/itex]. This is the set of all lines (as C is changed) with a positive slope that go through the origin, if I am not mistaken, which is the transform of the 'S' lattice of the grid.

For the next step I let S be constant, and used substitution to get what I think should be...
    [itex]x=Ce^{-\frac{lny}{lnC}}[/itex], and this would be the transform of the 't' lattice, if I did that right.

What am I looking at here?

I used wolframalpha to graph several instances of this, with C = 1,2 and 3, and seemed to give me wildly different graphs each time. Did I do that right? It seems like C=1,2 are hyperbolas with their asymptotes along the x and y axes, but C = 3 gives me something I've never seen before. Sort of like a hyperbola, but one of the sides has been flipped into a different quadrant.

Any push in the right direction would be helpful, thanks.

EDIT: I just realized that C can't be 1 right? because ln C would be 0, and that would make the denominator 0 in the exponent part of the equation...? Also I tried to graph it with my TI-84, but it only gave me the portion of the graph in the first quadrant. Why is that?

EDIT: Also, my graphing calculator gets funky when I graph this equation for C=1/4

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted