1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driven Oscillation- Motion of a particle, with given equation.

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Okay.. so I have tried to do this one but no luck.

2. Relevant equations
    w= 2 * pi* v
    1/2 kA^2= 1/2mv^2 + mgh

Alright so the question:

The motion of a particle is given by x(t)= 25cm* cos 10t
    What time is the kinetic energy twice the potential energy?

Not sure how to use a x(t) equation to incorporate mgh which deals motion in the y direction.

Any guide would be appreciated.. Thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

You are probably just suffering from notational inconsistency/ambiguity. I suspect:

- The "v" in the equation for frequnecy is actually not a "v" at all, but rather Greek letter "nu". I.e., it is not velocity, but rather cyclic frequency. I would use "f" instead.

- The "x" and "y" directions are arbitrary. And so, while "y" is typically chosen to represent vertical position, "x" is just as well. In fact, you have "1/2 kA^2" and "mgh" in your energy equation, and "y" does not appear anywhere. I suspect: A=h=x in your equations.

- The equation of the motion of the particle has unitless time. I suspect that the "10" in the argument of the cosine should have some units.

BTW, why did you call this "Driven Oscillation"?

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3
    I just used the unit name, it's called Driven Oscillations and resonance.
    Okay... hmm
    so looking at it only with energy considerations... we have amplitude so we can do the equation:

1/2KA^2= 1/2 mv^2 + mv^2

... but mass shouldnt be included in the equation :S
    so this is where I get stuck again!
    lol ahhh

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook