1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driven Quantum harmonic oscillator by way of the S-Matrix

1. Aug 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the lagragian [tex] L = \frac{m}{2} \dot{x}^2 - \frac{m \omega x^2}{2} + f(t) x(t)[/tex]
    where [tex] f(t) = f_0 [/tex] for [tex] 0 \le t \le T [/tex] 0 otherwise. The only diagram that survives in the s -matrix expansion when calculating <0|S|0> is [tex] D = \int dt dt' f(t)f(t') <0|T x(t)x(t')|0> [/tex]. (This is easily seen by looking at the magnus expansion with interacting hamiltonian in the interaction picture being f(t)x(t)). Show that in frequency space [tex] D = \int d\nu \frac{-1}{4m \pi} f(-\nu) \frac{i}{\nu^2 - \omega^2 + i \epsilon} f(\nu) [/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] <0| T x(t)x(t')|0> = \frac{1}{2m\omega}e^{i(t-t')\omega} [/tex]
    where [tex] x(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m\omega}}(a e^{-i\omega t}+ a^{\dagger}e^{i\omega t} )[/tex]. I got the result by applying wick's theorem. I assumed that t > t' and merely calculated [tex]<0| [a e^{-i \omega t}, a^{\dagger}e^{i \omega t'}] |0> \frac{1}{2m \omega}[/tex]. Now putting in all the fourier expressions [tex]D = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^2} \int dt dt' d\nu d\nu' f(\nu) e^{-i\nu t}\frac{1}{2m\omega}e^{i(t-t')\omega} e^{-i \nu' t' }f(\nu') [/tex] . There is no need of going on because integrating out t and t' merely gives delta functions which will not give the result. The only place where I can see I have gone wrong is in calculating the VEV but then I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since we have a time ordered product, we also have to consider ##t<t'##, so you should find that
    $$\langle 0| T( x(t)x(t') )|0\rangle \propto e^{i\omega|t-t'|}.$$
    The absolute value has consequences below.

When you include the absolute value, we have different expressions for ##t <t'## and ##t> t'##. One way to account for this is to split the integrals
    $$ \int dt dt' e^{i\omega|t-t'| - i \nu t -i \nu' t' } = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt \left[ e^{i(\omega-\nu)t } \int_{-\infty}^t e^{-i(\omega +\nu' + i\epsilon) t'} + e^{-i(\omega+\nu)t }\int^{\infty}_t e^{i(\omega -\nu' + i\epsilon) t'}\right],$$
    where the ##i\epsilon##s have been added to make the ##t'## integrals converge. If you follow along the calculation, you should be able to reproduce the denominator from the suggested result.

4. Aug 24, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply, the absolute value does accomplish the trick with the slight modification that I ignored the epsilons in the exponential when I did the integrals over t, otherwise I could not get the delta functions that I know I need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted