Driven Quantum harmonic oscillator by way of the S-Matrix

In summary, Wick's theorem is used to calculate <0|S|0> for a given time-ordered product of frequencies. The absolute value of the lagrangian is necessary to account for t<t'>.
Henriamaa

Homework Statement

We have the lagragian [tex] L = \frac{m}{2} \dot{x}^2 - \frac{m \omega x^2}{2} + f(t) x(t)[/tex]
where [tex] f(t) = f_0 [/tex] for [tex] 0 \le t \le T [/tex] 0 otherwise. The only diagram that survives in the s -matrix expansion when calculating <0|S|0> is [tex] D = \int dt dt' f(t)f(t') <0|T x(t)x(t')|0> [/tex]. (This is easily seen by looking at the magnus expansion with interacting hamiltonian in the interaction picture being f(t)x(t)). Show that in frequency space [tex] D = \int d\nu \frac{-1}{4m \pi} f(-\nu) \frac{i}{\nu^2 - \omega^2 + i \epsilon} f(\nu) [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] <0| T x(t)x(t')|0> = \frac{1}{2m\omega}e^{i(t-t')\omega} [/tex]
where [tex] x(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m\omega}}(a e^{-i\omega t}+ a^{\dagger}e^{i\omega t} )[/tex]. I got the result by applying wick's theorem. I assumed that t > t' and merely calculated [tex]<0| [a e^{-i \omega t}, a^{\dagger}e^{i \omega t'}] |0> \frac{1}{2m \omega}[/tex]. Now putting in all the Fourier expressions [tex]D = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^2} \int dt dt' d\nu d\nu' f(\nu) e^{-i\nu t}\frac{1}{2m\omega}e^{i(t-t')\omega} e^{-i \nu' t' }f(\nu') [/tex] . There is no need of going on because integrating out t and t' merely gives delta functions which will not give the result. The only place where I can see I have gone wrong is in calculating the VEV but then I do not know what I am doing wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Henriamaa said:
[tex] <0| T x(t)x(t')|0> = \frac{1}{2m\omega}e^{i(t-t')\omega} [/tex]
where [tex] x(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m\omega}}(a e^{-i\omega t}+ a^{\dagger}e^{i\omega t} )[/tex]. I got the result by applying wick's theorem. I assumed that t > t' and merely calculated [tex]<0| [a e^{-i \omega t}, a^{\dagger}e^{i \omega t'}] |0> \frac{1}{2m \omega}[/tex].

Since we have a time ordered product, we also have to consider ##t<t'##, so you should find that
$$\langle 0| T( x(t)x(t') )|0\rangle \propto e^{i\omega|t-t'|}.$$
The absolute value has consequences below.

Now putting in all the Fourier expressions [tex]D = \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^2} \int dt dt' d\nu d\nu' f(\nu) e^{-i\nu t}\frac{1}{2m\omega}e^{i(t-t')\omega} e^{-i \nu' t' }f(\nu') [/tex] . There is no need of going on because integrating out t and t' merely gives delta functions which will not give the result. The only place where I can see I have gone wrong is in calculating the VEV but then I do not know what I am doing wrong.

When you include the absolute value, we have different expressions for ##t <t'## and ##t> t'##. One way to account for this is to split the integrals
$$ \int dt dt' e^{i\omega|t-t'| - i \nu t -i \nu' t' } = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dt \left[ e^{i(\omega-\nu)t } \int_{-\infty}^t e^{-i(\omega +\nu' + i\epsilon) t'} + e^{-i(\omega+\nu)t }\int^{\infty}_t e^{i(\omega -\nu' + i\epsilon) t'}\right],$$
where the ##i\epsilon##s have been added to make the ##t'## integrals converge. If you follow along the calculation, you should be able to reproduce the denominator from the suggested result.

Thanks for the reply, the absolute value does accomplish the trick with the slight modification that I ignored the epsilons in the exponential when I did the integrals over t, otherwise I could not get the delta functions that I know I need.

1. What is a driven quantum harmonic oscillator?

A driven quantum harmonic oscillator is a physical system in quantum mechanics that consists of a harmonic oscillator (a particle moving back and forth in a potential well) that is subject to an external driving force. This force can be in the form of a time-dependent potential or an oscillating electromagnetic field.

2. How is the S-Matrix used in the study of driven quantum harmonic oscillators?

The S-Matrix, or scattering matrix, is a mathematical tool used to study the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. In the context of driven quantum harmonic oscillators, the S-Matrix is used to calculate the probability amplitudes for the system to transition between different energy states when subjected to an external driving force.

3. What is the significance of the S-Matrix in the study of driven quantum harmonic oscillators?

The S-Matrix is an essential tool for studying driven quantum harmonic oscillators because it allows for the calculation of transition probabilities, which are crucial in understanding the dynamics of the system. It also provides a way to analyze the effects of different driving forces on the behavior of the oscillator.

4. How does the S-Matrix approach differ from other methods of studying driven quantum harmonic oscillators?

The S-Matrix approach differs from other methods, such as the Schrödinger equation, because it focuses on the behavior of the system at specific energy levels rather than its overall wave function. This approach is particularly useful for systems that are subject to external driving forces.

5. Can the S-Matrix approach be applied to other systems besides driven quantum harmonic oscillators?

Yes, the S-Matrix approach can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, including nuclear and particle physics. It is a versatile tool that allows for the analysis of transitions between different energy states in a system, making it useful in many areas of physics.