Dropped Tennis Ball: Solving for Speed and Force

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with their equations and calculations for a tennis ball being dropped onto a hard floor. They are looking for assistance in solving for the speed of the ball and the force exerted by the floor. However, there is a discrepancy in their calculations due to a unit conversion error.
jspek9
Can someone please check my equations to see if I am going about this the right way.

A 0.4 kg tennis ball is dropped from rest at a height of 3.9 m onto a hard floor.

a) What is the speed of the ball at the instant of contact with the floor? I solved to be 8.743

A flash photograph shows that the ball is compressed a maximum of 0.6 cm when it strikes the floor.

b) Assuming that the acceleration of the ball is constant during its contact with the floor, what force does the floor exert on the ball?

I used my v final from part a as my v initial for part b. So
v initial = 8.743
v final = 0
delta x = 3.9

using the formula vf2=vI2+2axdelta x
which gave me 0=(8.734)2+(2)ax(.6) = 63.7

then using F=ma+9.8m
gave f= (0.4)(63.7)+(9.8)(0.4) so F=29.4

but this is incorrect. Can anyone point out what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you used the right numbers, it looks like number 1 is probably correct.

For part two the tennis ball is compressed, that's interesting, it's almost spring-like...

The only way I now how to solve force of a spring is using Hookes Law, and I can't seem to make that work either.

Is there any other advice you can give me?
Could it have something to do with my original displacement is in m and the second part is in cm?

anyone?

Hi jspek9,

jspek9 said:
The only way I now how to solve force of a spring is using Hookes Law, and I can't seem to make that work either.

Is there any other advice you can give me?
Could it have something to do with my original displacement is in m and the second part is in cm?

That's right; you have a problem with the units in your work. When you calculated this line in your original post:

jspek9 said:
using the formula vf2=vI2+2axdelta x
which gave me 0=(8.734)2+(2)ax(.6) = 63.7

the 8.734 is in m/s, and the .6 is in cm, so the 63.7 will not be in m/s[itex]^2[/itex]. You probably want to convert the 0.6cm to meters.

Related to Dropped Tennis Ball: Solving for Speed and Force

1. Why does a dropped tennis ball bounce back up?

When a tennis ball is dropped, it falls towards the ground due to the force of gravity. As it hits the ground, it compresses and deforms, storing potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy, causing the ball to bounce back up.

2. Why does a tennis ball bounce higher on a hard surface compared to a soft surface?

The surface of a tennis ball is made of rubber, which is a highly elastic material. When dropped on a hard surface, the rubber is able to quickly and efficiently transfer the stored potential energy into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher bounce. On a soft surface, the rubber is not able to compress and deform as much, leading to a lower bounce.

3. How does air pressure affect the bounce of a tennis ball?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in determining the bounce of a tennis ball. A ball with higher air pressure will have a more rigid surface, allowing it to bounce higher. On the other hand, a ball with lower air pressure will have a softer surface and will not bounce as high.

4. Can the temperature affect the bounce of a tennis ball?

Yes, the temperature can have an impact on the bounce of a tennis ball. When the temperature is higher, the air inside the ball expands, increasing the air pressure and resulting in a higher bounce. Conversely, when the temperature is lower, the air inside the ball contracts, leading to a lower bounce.

5. How can the bounce of a tennis ball be affected by its age?

As a tennis ball ages, the rubber on its surface becomes less elastic. This means that it is not able to efficiently convert potential energy into kinetic energy, resulting in a lower bounce. Additionally, the air inside the ball may also leak out over time, leading to a decrease in air pressure and further affecting the bounce.