Mastering DSP: Fourier Series & Transforms

In summary, The conversation is about someone seeking advice on how to quickly master DSP, specifically Fourier series and transforms. Suggestions are made for books to use as resources, with the book "Introduction to Digital Signal Processing" by Johnny R Johnson being recommended for its straightforward approach. The conversation also touches on the need for background knowledge in integral transforms, specifically starting with Laplace transforms and moving on to Fourier and z transforms. However, it is noted that mastering DSP may not be possible in a short amount of time and may require a strong foundation in math.
madchiller
hi i wanted to know if anybody that knew about dsp and all the Fourier series and transforms had any advice on how to master it ... very swiftly..

Engineering news on Phys.org
madchiller said:
hi i wanted to know if anybody that knew about dsp and all the Fourier series and transforms had any advice on how to master it ... very swiftly..

Hmmm...Looking for a short-cut, eh?
Is it for here, or to-go? Do you need ketchup with that? Just kidding :).

When I was a TA, I recommended this book that cuts to the chase: Introduction to Digital Signal Processing, by Johnny R Johnson. It was pretty helpful to the new comers to DSP.

You need some background on integral transforms.
Start from Laplace transforms and then quickly move into Fourier and z and what have you...

The best book is by Oppenheim-Schafer. Its a bible...

thanks a lot so if I understood you right i start with LAPPLACE and I go on with the rest, thanks a lot of replying and for the book tip.

sai_2008 said:
The best book is by Oppenheim-Schafer. Its a bible...

lol, i have this. it ain't no shortcut.

i don't think master and quickly really go together here unless you're already a math savant, which is why you get few replies. i just had the one college course (roughly, 10 weeks), and didn't come away feeling like i had "mastered" the subject.

i have an applied & pure math degree just getting adjusted to the " engineering " math notation ...

1. What is the purpose of mastering DSP: Fourier Series & Transforms?

Mastering DSP: Fourier Series & Transforms is a course designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the mathematical concepts and techniques used in digital signal processing (DSP). It covers topics such as Fourier series, Fourier transforms, and their applications in analyzing and manipulating signals.

2. What is the difference between Fourier series and Fourier transforms?

Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic signal as a sum of sinusoidal waves with different frequencies, amplitudes, and phases. On the other hand, Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, representing the signal as a sum of sinusoidal waves with continuous frequencies.

3. How are Fourier series and Fourier transforms used in real-world applications?

Fourier series and Fourier transforms are widely used in various fields such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, image processing, and medical imaging. They are used to analyze and filter signals, remove noise, compress data, and extract useful information from signals.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking the "Mastering DSP: Fourier Series & Transforms" course?

Basic knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, and complex numbers is required for understanding the concepts covered in this course. Familiarity with programming and MATLAB is also recommended as they will be used for implementing and visualizing the concepts.

5. Can I apply the concepts learned in this course to other areas of engineering or science?

Yes, the concepts of Fourier series and Fourier transforms are applicable in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and applied mathematics. Understanding these concepts can help in solving problems related to signal processing, data analysis, and system modeling in different areas of science and engineering.