Dumb question on attics and vents/airflow

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary, the attic vents are designed with protective measures such as louvers, raised cones or caps, and metal mesh screens to allow air flow while inhibiting rain, larger pests, and insects. There are also different types of vents, such as gable vents and soffit vents, that have specific formulas for calculating the needed intake and exhaust flow. The vertical pipes commonly seen in roofs are actually sewer vents and have nothing to do with ventilating the attic.
kyphysics
I'm wondering if attics supposedly have air vents to let air flow in and out, how is it that these "holes" in the attic also don't let water come through during rain?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Like these type of attic vents? Looks pretty rainproof to me...

https://www.gaf.com/-/media/hero/pr...hash=3AB0548E9D44315297DE8CDB6AC201C32CCBF9B5

1583198002729.png

Vents in attic walls are protected by louvers; horizontal slats set at an angle to inhibit rain but allow air. Louvers also keep out larger pests such as rodents and birds.

Vertical vents commonly use pipes through the roof. The top of the pipe is protected by a raised cone or cap larger in diameter than the pipe. Rain splatters off the cone but air comes through the gap.

Any of these openings can be protected by a metal mesh, a screen that allows air flow but inhibits insects. Some attics have small screened windows perhaps with an overhang.

[Edit: 20200302: added cap to standing pipe.]

Last edited:
Likes Rolacycle and russ_watters
Pictures are worth a thousand words.

1583197990798.png

1583198026589.png

1583198046673.png

1583198093256.png

There are many more variants.

Edit: LOL @berkeman found the same picture as I did, but faster.

Likes Klystron
anorlunda said:
Pictures are worth a thousand words.
[...]
There are many more variants.

True, but I love using words such as "louvers".:cool:

• Haha
Likes Keith_McClary, anorlunda and russ_watters
Klystron said:
but I like your spinning cap shown in your first post.
You just gave me serious vertigo, and my stomach contents are now cleared. Thank you very much.

I think you meant to reference that *other* poster's reply about the spinning attic vent. I need to go lay down for a few minutes...

:wink:

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Likes Klystron
Pics are very helpful.

I see more of the "vertical" vents in my neighborhood. Always wondered how they worked. Figured if you had a hole, "stuff" could come in (bugs or water). Thanks for the pics and explanations!

Likes Klystron
kyphysics said:
Pics are very helpful.

I see more of the "vertical" vents in my neighborhood. Always wondered how they worked. Figured if you had a hole, "stuff" could come in (bugs or water). Thanks for the pics and explanations!
Most building codes require an insect screen behind the louvers and any other path into the attic.
With enough wind speed, rain-driven rain will penetrate the attic space.

Some industrial and properly designed louvers reduce that type of penetration very well.
Please, see:
https://www.archlouvers.com/How_Louvers_Work.htm

:cool:

Likes Klystron
kyphysics said:
I'm wondering if attics supposedly have air vents to let air flow in and out, how is it that these "holes" in the attic also don't let water come through during rain?
Depending on type of house your talking about (gable/hip) there are 2 basic types of intake flow vents (gable vent / Soffit vent) respectively. House that have gables usual don’t have as many exhaust flow vents due to flow ability and how wind can drive thru attic. There is a specific formula based upon surface area of roof : area of house footprint that calculates needed intake surface area and proper exhaust flow depending on vent type. But as long as your shingles (laminated) don’t look like burnt toast intake/ exhaust ratio isn’t damaging shingles

The verticle pipes sticking out the roof have nothing to do with ventilating the attic. They are sewer vents.

Likes davenn, Lnewqban and Keith_McClary
If anything drains into the sewer vent is considered part of the drain waisted vent system and will be protected with a trap to prevent sewer gas from escaping. Whatever device that drains into the sewer vent happens to reside in an attic well then that is coincidence. The sewer vent is meant to vent the sewer system, not the fixture or appliance that happens to be hooked to it or space the said appliance resides in.
-
Edit: I should be a little more careful with my wording. A vent pipe that is part of the main DWV system that runs from an individual sink for instance is said to vent the sink. But what it actually does is allow air to follow the drain water away from the sink. If this is not provided there is danger of the trap under the sink being drawn empty or close to empty which will low sewer gas into the room.
-
So again, the vertical pipe pictured in post #6 is just a sewer vent and nothing else.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker
If you post picture of exactly what you what identified I’ll answer with the exact answer 😂
Averagesupernova said:
The verticle pipes sticking out the roof have nothing to do with ventilating the attic. They are sewer vents.
or vent for a gas appliance,
vent-a-hood for stove top
Few others that off the top of my head escape me

Rolacycle said:
If you post picture of exactly what you what identified I’ll answer with the exact answer
I referred to the pic in post #6. 'Nuf said I think.

Likes Rolacycle
Averagesupernova said:
I referred to the pic in post #6. 'Nuf said I think.
Is that what he was referring to because that’s not clear from anything I read?

Or just what someone else posted picture of?

maybe Texas jack or a one way HE water heater? Or chimney even 😂
0BF5FF36-D618-449A-9BAC-517BDBBF0967.jpeg

Someone has deleted their post. I thought they were referring to the pipe in post #6. So, this is what my replies were aimed at. I have to assume who delete and dash poster was figured out they were wrong. Chicken way out if I've ever seen it.

Likes Rolacycle
Averagesupernova said:
Someone has deleted their post. I thought they were referring to the pipe in post #6. So, this is what my replies were aimed at. I have to assume who delete and dash poster was figured out they were wrong. Chicken way out if I've ever seen it.
Ahhh👍🏻 well those are definitely pvc (1-1/2” ; 2” ; 3” ;4” etc.. ) vents that supply sewer drain air relief for anything that drains to city connected water supply in #6 comment 💯 right

Likes Averagesupernova

Related to Dumb question on attics and vents/airflow

What is the purpose of attic vents?

Attic vents allow for proper airflow in the attic space, which helps regulate temperature and moisture levels. This can prevent damage to the roof and insulation, and also improve energy efficiency.

How do I know if my attic has enough ventilation?

A general rule of thumb is to have at least 1 square foot of ventilation for every 150 square feet of attic space. However, it is best to consult with a professional to determine the specific ventilation needs for your attic.

Can I have too much ventilation in my attic?

Yes, having too much ventilation can actually be counterproductive. It can disrupt the natural airflow and cause air to enter and exit the attic at the same time, reducing its effectiveness. It is important to have a balanced ventilation system.

Can I install attic vents myself?

While it is possible to install attic vents yourself, it is recommended to hire a professional. Improper installation can lead to leaks, which can cause damage to the roof and compromise the effectiveness of the ventilation system.

Do I need to cover my attic vents in the winter?

No, attic vents should not be covered in the winter. They are designed to allow for proper airflow year-round, which is important for regulating temperature and moisture levels in the attic space.