Dynamics homework -- Motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk

In summary: Thanks.Welcome to the PF. :smile:Can you show us a couple of your failed attempts to work on this problem? Can you show us your free body diagram (FBD)? Thanks.I'm sorry, but I cannot show you my failed attempts. I have tried to work on this problem for a long time and I can't solve it.Can you show us your free body diagram (FBD)? I'm sorry, but I cannot show you my failed attempts. I have tried to work on this problem for a long time and I can't solve it.Can you show us your free body diagram (FBD)? I
Serhatakguc0
Homework Statement
Dynamic homework need help
Relevant Equations
Velocity, Angular velocity, acceleration , angular acceleration
Hi everyone,

I need help for this homework. I'm a mechatronics engineering student and i want to solve this question but no matter how hard I try, I can't solve the question. Sorry for my bad english...The disk connected to the AB stick with a length of 2 meters is rolled as shown in the figure without slipping. The velocity and acceleration of point A at the given moment moves to the left with VA = 6 m / s and aA = 3 m / s ^ 2, as shown in the figure, respectively.A-)Find the velocity of point B and the angular velocity of point AB.

B-)Find the acceleration of point B and the angular acceleration of the AB bar.

C-)Find the angular velocity and angular acceleration of the disc.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What "relevant equations" do you think may apply? Can you show us a couple of your failed attempts to work on this problem? Can you show us your free body diagram (FBD)? Thanks.

... and please post the diagram provided with the question. If you cannot do that, describe it thoroughly.

haruspex said:
... and please post the diagram provided with the question. If you cannot do that, describe it thoroughly.
That's weird. The OP originally did have a diagram included. It was confusing, but it was there.

@Serhatakguc0 -- Did you delete the figure for a reason?

Until @Serhatakguc0 gets back, I did manage to scribble something down of the diagram he had:

new doc 2020-05-05 16.29.27_2.jpg

Likes berkeman
Hi again,
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What "relevant equations" do you think may apply? Can you show us a couple of your failed attempts to work on this problem? Can you show us your free body diagram (FBD)? Thanks.

That is my work on this problem and I'm so sorry about delete the diagram i want to delete it in attach files but i do a mistake.

There is diagram thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• IMG-20200506-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20200506-WA0000.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20200505_213835.jpg
    IMG_20200505_213835.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 133
Serhatakguc0 said:
Hi again,That is my work on this problem and I'm so sorry about delete the diagram i want to delete it in attach files but i do a mistake.

There is diagram thanks for your comments.
Please explain how you get 3m/s for the vertical component of B's velocity.

In future, please do not post algebra as an image. Images are for textbook extracts and diagrams.
Please refrain from plugging in numbers straight away. Keep everything symbolic until the end - it has many advantages both for you and readers.

1. What is the purpose of studying the motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk?

The purpose of studying the motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk is to understand the principles of rotational motion and how it relates to linear motion. This can help us better understand the behavior of objects in motion and how they interact with each other.

2. What factors affect the motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk?

The motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk is affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the disk, the length and mass of the stick, the surface it is rolling on, and any external forces acting on the system.

3. How do you calculate the velocity and acceleration of a stick attached to a rolling disk?

To calculate the velocity and acceleration of a stick attached to a rolling disk, you can use the equations for rotational motion, such as the angular velocity and angular acceleration equations. You will also need to consider the linear velocity and acceleration of the center of mass of the disk and stick.

4. What is the difference between translational and rotational motion?

Translational motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis. In the case of a stick attached to a rolling disk, the disk experiences both translational and rotational motion, while the stick only experiences rotational motion.

5. How does the motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk illustrate the concept of conservation of angular momentum?

The motion of a stick attached to a rolling disk illustrates the concept of conservation of angular momentum because the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, even as the individual components (the disk and stick) experience changes in their angular velocities. This is because there are no external torques acting on the system, so the total angular momentum must be conserved.