What are the equations for trajectory in an E-field?

• Thread starter jasper10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trajectory
In summary, the conversation is about a physics exam on Friday and one of the questions will be on the trajectory of an electron in an E-field. The teacher mentioned using the equation tanß = sinß / cosß, which may be related to the initial components of velocity in a uniform electric field. The equations discussed include v = ucosß + at, v^2 = (ucosß)^2 + 2as, and s = (ucosß x t ) + .5at^2.
jasper10

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a physics exam on friday. My teacher said one of the questions would be on the TRAJECTORY (of an electron) IN AN E-FIELD. he told us to remember than tanß = sinß / cosß

we haven't used tan, sin or cos during class work. I was hoping someone could give me a clue to what he means.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
he means that you will need to use tan(beta)

yes i know he will give us some form of equation or something to do with tanß
but how is this related to the trajectory in an e field?

say a uniform electric field points in the x direction. but the electron enters the E field at a certain speed 30 degrees above the direction of the E field, then you are going to have initial components of velocities that involve sine and cosine

So would the equations be:

v = ucosß + at
v^2 = (ucosß)^2 + 2as
s = (ucosß x t ) + .5at^2
?

1. What is an E-field?

An E-field, or electric field, is a type of force field that is created by an electric charge or a changing magnetic field. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and it can exert a force on other electrically charged particles.

2. How is the trajectory of a charged particle affected by an E-field?

The trajectory of a charged particle in an E-field is affected by the direction and magnitude of the E-field. The particle will experience a force in the direction of the E-field, causing it to accelerate and change direction as it moves through the field.

3. How can the magnitude of an E-field be calculated?

The magnitude of an E-field can be calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force exerted on the particle, and q is the charge of the particle. This formula is known as Coulomb's Law.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and E-field?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in an E-field. The direction of the E-field is always perpendicular to the equipotential lines, which are lines of constant electric potential.

5. How are E-fields used in practical applications?

E-fields have many practical applications, such as in electronics and power transmission. They are also used in medical imaging, such as in MRI machines, and in particle accelerators for research purposes. Additionally, E-fields are used in everyday objects like electric motors and generators.