1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Magnetic Field from Electric Field Using Maxwell's Equations

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electromagnetic wave has an electric field [tex]\mathbf{E} = E_0 \cos(kz-ωt) \hat{x}[/tex]. Using Maxwell's equations, find the magnetic field.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\mathbf{∇\times E} = \mathbf{\dot{B}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So this problem appears extremely simple, but other students have told me my answer is incorrect, and I can't figure out what is wrong with my math. I find the cross product, which results in the following equation for the time derivative of the magnetic field:

[tex]\mathbf{\dot{B}} = \hat{y}kE_0\sin(kz-ωt)[/tex]

I now integrate both sides with respect to time. This is where my answer diverges from others, so I'll fully write out my steps:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = kE_0∫_0^t \sin(kz-ωt') dt'\hat{y} [/tex]

I set [tex]u = kz-ωt'[/tex], which means [tex]du = -ωdt'[/tex]

Plugging this in, the new integral is:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = -\frac{kE_0}{ω}∫_{kz}^{kz-ωt}\sin(u)du[/tex]

The result is then

[tex]\mathbf{B} = \frac{kE_0}{ω}[\cos(kz-ωt)-\cos(kz)]\hat{y}[/tex]

However, every student I've talked to has told me that the correct answer should be

[tex] \mathbf{B} = \frac{kE_0}{ω} \cos(kz-ωt)\hat{y} [/tex]

Is there something simple I'm missing? There's nothing else in the problem description I didn't write. The other answer looks more correct but I can't find any reason that mine is incorrect.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The left side of the second equation above is incorrect. Think again about what you get when you integrate the left side of the first equation from t' = 0 to t' = t.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  4. Jul 8, 2014 #3
    Woops thanks for the help, figured it out!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted