Find Magnetic Field from Electric Field Using Maxwell's Equations

In summary, the magnetic field in this problem is incorrectly calculated because the student incorrectly applied the cross product to the electric and magnetic fields.
ADCooper

Homework Statement

An electromagnetic wave has an electric field [tex]\mathbf{E} = E_0 \cos(kz-ωt) \hat{x}[/tex]. Using Maxwell's equations, find the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

[tex]\mathbf{∇\times E} = \mathbf{\dot{B}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So this problem appears extremely simple, but other students have told me my answer is incorrect, and I can't figure out what is wrong with my math. I find the cross product, which results in the following equation for the time derivative of the magnetic field:

[tex]\mathbf{\dot{B}} = \hat{y}kE_0\sin(kz-ωt)[/tex]

I now integrate both sides with respect to time. This is where my answer diverges from others, so I'll fully write out my steps:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = kE_0∫_0^t \sin(kz-ωt') dt'\hat{y} [/tex]

I set [tex]u = kz-ωt'[/tex], which means [tex]du = -ωdt'[/tex]

Plugging this in, the new integral is:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = -\frac{kE_0}{ω}∫_{kz}^{kz-ωt}\sin(u)du[/tex]

The result is then

[tex]\mathbf{B} = \frac{kE_0}{ω}[\cos(kz-ωt)-\cos(kz)]\hat{y}[/tex]

However, every student I've talked to has told me that the correct answer should be

[tex] \mathbf{B} = \frac{kE_0}{ω} \cos(kz-ωt)\hat{y} [/tex]

Is there something simple I'm missing? There's nothing else in the problem description I didn't write. The other answer looks more correct but I can't find any reason that mine is incorrect.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ADCooper said:
[tex]\mathbf{\dot{B}} = \hat{y}kE_0\sin(kz-ωt)[/tex]

I now integrate both sides with respect to time. This is where my answer diverges from others, so I'll fully write out my steps:

[tex]\mathbf{B} = kE_0∫_0^t \sin(kz-ωt') dt'\hat{y} [/tex]

The left side of the second equation above is incorrect. Think again about what you get when you integrate the left side of the first equation from t' = 0 to t' = t.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The left side of the second equation above is incorrect. Think again about what you get when you integrate the left side of the first equation from t' = 0 to t' = t.

Woops thanks for the help, figured it out!

Related to Find Magnetic Field from Electric Field Using Maxwell's Equations

1. What are Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four mathematical equations that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism.

2. How do Maxwell's equations relate to finding the magnetic field from an electric field?

Maxwell's equations provide a mathematical framework for understanding the relationship between electric and magnetic fields. By applying these equations, it is possible to determine the magnetic field at a given point in space based on the electric field at that same point.

3. What is the process for using Maxwell's equations to find the magnetic field from an electric field?

The process for using Maxwell's equations to find the magnetic field from an electric field involves first determining the electric field at a given point, then using the equations to calculate the magnetic field at that point. This involves solving for the electric displacement field, the magnetic flux density, and the curl of the electric field.

4. Are there any limitations to using Maxwell's equations to find the magnetic field from an electric field?

While Maxwell's equations are a powerful tool for understanding the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, there are some limitations to their applicability. They are most accurate when dealing with static or slowly changing fields, and may not fully capture the behavior of rapidly changing fields or fields at very small scales.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the magnetic field from an electric field using Maxwell's equations?

Maxwell's equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and electronics. Some specific examples of real-world applications include designing and analyzing electric motors, predicting the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, and developing new technologies for wireless communication and power transmission.