E&M Physics. Potential Difference

In summary, a student in an electricity and magnetism course has a question about finding the magnitude of potential difference between points a and b in a 1000-turn wire loop connected to a 20 ohm resistor, with a magnetic field directed into the paper and varying at a rate of 0.25 T/s. They are looking for an explanation or equation to solve this problem and have already checked their textbook. The advice given is to use Faraday's law. The figure referenced is not specified.
zwebb
Hello, I am in electricity and magnetism. I have a question about a homework problem.

A 1000-turn loop (radius = 0.034 m) of wire is connected to a (20 ohm) resistor as shown in the figure. A magnetic field is directed perpendicular to the plane of the loop. The field points into the paper and has a magnitude that varies in time as B=gt, where g=0.25 T/s. Neglect the resistance of the wire.

What is the magnitude of the potential difference between points a and b?

I fully understand that you guys cannot give me the answer. I would just like an explanation of how to find this, or an equation. I have already looked through my book to no avail. THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Faraday's law.

What figure? Where is a and b?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is the driving force for electric current.

2. How is potential difference related to electric field?

Potential difference is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. The stronger the electric field, the higher the potential difference between two points.

3. What is the unit of potential difference?

The unit of potential difference is volt (V), named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, who invented the first battery.

4. What is the formula for calculating potential difference?

The formula for potential difference is V = W/Q, where V is potential difference, W is work done, and Q is the amount of charge.

5. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference can be measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The voltmeter measures the potential difference between two points in the circuit.