E&M Problem - 2 Charged Masses Hanging on Strings

In summary: The tension in each string is T and the angle from the vertical is θ. The distance each mass assumes horizontally from the at-rest (zero electrostatic forces) position is eack mass. θ can be found by solving the equations.
inferno298
E&M Problem -- 2 Charged Masses Hanging on Strings

Homework Statement

Two charges of identical mass m, one with charge q, the other with charge 2q, hang from strings
of length l from a common point. Assume q is sufficiently weak so that any angle you're looking
for is very small, and find an approximate expression for the angle  each charge makes with
respect to the vertical. Check (and show) that the units work out, and that the limiting behavior
for large mass, large length, and/or small q are at least sensible.

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law
E=(1/4*pi*episolon)(q' R/R)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I am not sure what to do with the mass, if its really even needed.
Also I am given lengths, but it doesn't specify that they are the vectors themselves, otherwise I would just use the r' vector to the charge and the r vector to some random point charge in the middle to grab the vertical angle.

I think there is another way I am missing though. Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First think about which forces are acting on the charged masses. Then your electric field of a charge [itex]Q[/itex] in the origin should read (in SI units)
[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}.[/tex]

vanhees71 said:
First think about which forces are acting on the charged masses. Then your electric field of a charge [itex]Q[/itex] in the origin should read (in SI units)
[tex]\vec{E}=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\vec{r}}{r^3}.[/tex]

So there will be a bigger force acting upon q as opposed to 2q. The angle between the vertical and q will be bigger than the other. I guess I am having trouble relating that into the formula, or even figuring out how to get the angles out of it. I am sorry for the huge mind block that I am experiencing

inferno298 said:
So there will be a bigger force acting upon q as opposed to 2q. The angle between the vertical and q will be bigger than the other. I guess I am having trouble relating that into the formula, or even figuring out how to get the angles out of it. I am sorry for the huge mind block that I am experiencing

The electrostatic forces on the two masses are equal & opposite. They're in the x direction.

Remember that gravity also acts on both of them. Equal forces here too. In the y direction.

So the two masses hang the same angle from the vertical.

Call the tension in each string = T
Then write 3 equations relating T, the angle from the vertical θ, and the distance eack mass assumes horizontally from the at-rest (zero electrostatic forces) position.

3 equations, 3 unknowns. Solve for θ.

Last edited:
alright thanks, I almost got it now

Related to E&M Problem - 2 Charged Masses Hanging on Strings

What is the E&M Problem - 2 Charged Masses Hanging on Strings?

The E&M Problem - 2 Charged Masses Hanging on Strings is a physics problem that involves two charged masses suspended from strings and interacting with each other through electric and magnetic forces. It is commonly used to illustrate the principles of electromagnetism and can be found in many introductory physics courses and textbooks.

Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it helps students understand and apply the fundamental concepts of electromagnetism, such as Coulomb's Law, electric fields, magnetic fields, and the Lorentz force. It also provides a practical application of these concepts, which can help students better grasp their significance in the real world.

What are the steps to solve this problem?

The steps to solve this problem typically involve drawing a diagram, identifying and labeling the relevant variables, applying the appropriate equations, and solving for the desired quantity. These steps may vary slightly depending on the specific problem and the level of complexity.

What are some common misconceptions about this problem?

One common misconception about this problem is that the strings are the only forces acting on the charged masses. In reality, there are also electric and magnetic forces at play, which can be easily overlooked. Another misconception is that the strings will always remain taut, when in fact, they can stretch or break if the forces on the masses are too strong.

What are some real-world examples of this problem?

This problem can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field, the behavior of charged particles in an electric generator, or the interaction between two charged objects in space. It can also be used to explain phenomena like magnetic levitation and the behavior of charged particles in a plasma ball.