Exploring e^{\pi i}: Is It -1 or -e^{-2k\pi^{2}}?

• Thread starter endeavor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the complex exponential function is not invertible. This is because it is not a one-to-one function.
endeavor
[tex][/tex]

1. Compute all the values of [tex] e^ {\pi i} [/tex], indicating clearly whether there is just one or many of them.

Trivially, exp(pi * i) = -1. However, we can also consider e to be the complex number z, and pi * i to be the complex number alpha. Then we get:

[tex]e^{\pi i} = z^{\alpha} = e^{\alpha log(z)}
= e^{\alpha (Log |z| + i arg(z))}
= e^{\pi i (Log |e| + i arg(e))}
= e^{\pi i (1 + i2k\pi)}
= e^{\pi i}e^{-2\pi^{2}k}
= - e^{-2\pi^{2}k}
[/tex]
where k is an integer.

So what exactly is going on here? does exp(pi*i) = -1 or -exp(-2kpi^2)??

P.S. I hope all this tex doesn't mess up :(

Physics news on Phys.org
something is wrong with LaTeX... it isn't displaying my tex right...

Fixed your LaTeX.
endeavor said:
1. Compute all the values of [tex] e^ {\pi i} [/tex], indicating clearly whether there is just one or many of them.

Trivially, exp(pi * i) = -1. However, we can also consider e to be the complex number z, and pi * i to be the complex number alpha. Then we get:

[tex]e^{\pi i} = z^{\alpha} = e^{\alpha log(z)}
= e^{\alpha (Log |z| + i arg(z))}
= e^{\pi i (Log |e| + i arg(e))}
= e^{\pi i (1 + i2k\pi)}
= e^{\pi i}e^{-2\pi^{2}k}
= - e^{-2\pi^{2}k}
[/tex]
where k is an integer.

So what exactly is going on here? does exp(pi*i) = -1 or -exp(-2kpi^2)??

P.S. I hope all this tex doesn't mess up :(

Is the complex exponential function invertible? (What is required for a function to have an inverse?)

NeoDevin said:
Is the complex exponential function invertible? (What is required for a function to have an inverse?)

The function must be 1-1, right?

endeavor said:
The function must be 1-1, right?

Correct. Does the complex exponential satisfy this?

NeoDevin said:
Correct. Does the complex exponential satisfy this?

Sorry, I misread your first question. So, no, the complex exponential is not an invertible function. Where does my initial post break down then?

endeavor said:
Sorry, I misread your first question. So, no, the complex exponential is not an invertible function. Where does my initial post break down then?

When you tried to invert it.

1. What is e^{\pi i}?

e^{\pi i} is a mathematical expression that represents the number raised to the power of \pi i, where i is the imaginary unit (√{-1}). It is also known as Euler's identity and is considered one of the most beautiful equations in mathematics.

2. What does the expression -1 represent in e^{\pi i}?

The expression -1 represents the cosine of \pi radians in the complex plane. This means that if we plot e^{\pi i} on the complex plane, it will have a magnitude of 1 and an angle of \pi radians (180 degrees) in the clockwise direction, resulting in the value of -1.

3. How does the expression -e^{-2k\pi^{2}} relate to e^{\pi i}?

The expression -e^{-2k\pi^{2}} is another representation of e^{\pi i}. This is because e^{\pi i} can also be written in the form of e^{2\pi i} and when we substitute k with any integer, the value of e^{2\pi i} remains the same. Therefore, both expressions are equivalent and represent the same value of -1.

4. Can e^{\pi i} ever be equal to -e^{-2k\pi^{2}}?

No, e^{\pi i} and -e^{-2k\pi^{2}} are two different representations of the same value -1. They cannot be equal to each other as they represent the same point on the complex plane and have the same magnitude and angle.

5. Why is e^{\pi i} equal to -1 and not any other number?

This is because of the unique properties of the complex plane and the relationship between the exponential and trigonometric functions. The value of e^{\pi i} is a result of the complex exponential function, which has a periodicity of 2\pi i. This periodicity results in the value of e^{\pi i} being equal to -1, and any other number would not satisfy this relationship.