Proving e^x > sigma(x^i/i!) for every x>0 | Induction Method

• Thread starter madah12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E^x
In summary, the homework statement asks to prove that e^x is greater than the summation of x^i/i! from i=0 to n for every x>0. Using induction, we can prove this for n=k and then show it is true for n=k+1. To find the limit as n approaches infinity, we must consider the possibility of equality and use the convergence of the partial sums.
madah12

Homework Statement

prove that e^x > sigma from i= o to n (x^i/i!) for every x>0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I will do it by induction
for n=1
e^x > x+1
but e^0=1 and 0+1=1
f(x)=e^x , g(x)=x+1
f(0)=g(0)
f'(x)=e^x , g'(x)=1
e^x>1 for every x >0
so f(x)>g(x)
-------------------------------
now assuming it's true for n =k
e^x> sigma from i= o to k (x^i/i!) for every x>0 (a)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
we prove it is true for k+1
h(x)=sigma from i= o to k+1 (x^i/i!) for every x>0
f(0)=h(0)=1
f'(x)=e^x , h'(x) = sigma from i= o to k (x^i/i!)
and by our assumption e^x >sigma from i= o to k (x^i/i!)
therefore f'(x)>h'(x) for every x >0
f(x)>h(x)
<=>e^x >sigma from i= o to k+1 (x^i/i!) for
and since it is proven for n=k+1
then by induction
e^x >sigma from i= o to n (x^i/i!)

------------------------------------------
is this right? and how can I prove it is true if n --> infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument looks ok to me. So you have

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^n\frac {x^k}{k!} < e^x[/tex]

for all n > 0, x>0. If you wish to take the limit as n→ ∞, you must admit the possibility of equality:

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty\frac {x^k}{k!} \le e^x[/tex]

You know the partial sums converge since they are increasing and bounded above by ex. Less than or equal is all this argument shows, although when you study Taylor series you will learn that equality holds in the limit.

1. What does the expression "E^x > f(x)" mean?

The expression "E^x > f(x)" is a mathematical statement that compares the values of two functions: the exponential function, E^x, and a general function, f(x). It is read as "E to the power of x is greater than f of x." This means that for any given input value of x, the output value of the exponential function will be greater than the output value of the general function.

2. What is the significance of this inequality in mathematics?

The inequality "E^x > f(x)" is significant because it represents a relationship between two fundamental mathematical concepts: exponentiation and functions. It also allows us to make comparisons and draw conclusions about the behavior of these two types of mathematical objects.

3. Can you give an example of a situation where "E^x > f(x)" would be true?

One example of a situation where "E^x > f(x)" would be true is if we compare the exponential function E^x with a polynomial function, such as f(x) = x^2. For any given value of x, we can see that E^x will always be greater than x^2, since the exponential function grows much faster than any polynomial function.

4. Is "E^x > f(x)" always true?

No, "E^x > f(x)" is not always true. It depends on the specific values of x and the functions E^x and f(x). For example, if we compare E^x to a constant function, such as f(x) = 5, there will be values of x for which E^x is greater than f(x), but also values for which f(x) is greater than E^x.

5. How can "E^x > f(x)" be useful in real-world applications?

The inequality "E^x > f(x)" can be useful in many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and biology. For example, it can be used to model population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay. It can also be used to analyze and compare the efficiency of different algorithms in computer science. Overall, this inequality helps us understand and predict the behavior of various natural and man-made systems.