1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Early Statics Question

1. Sep 18, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    phpEpTsQK.png
    Given: A 300 kg walkway supported by two rollers(at points A and B) with center of mass at G.
    Find: The tension T in the horizontal cable attached to the cleat at point B and the force under the roller at A.

2. Relevant equations
    ∑M = 0
    ΣFx = 0
    ΣFy = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Free body diagram of the bridge has Normal force vertically upwards with point of application A(Na) , Weight(W) vertically downwards at G, Normal force perpendicular to walkway directed away from water(Nb), and Tension(T) horizontal to the right at point B.

∑Mb = 0 (moment at point B)
    0 = +W(4cos30°) - Na(8cos30°)
    Na = (W(4cos30°))/(8cos30°)
    Na = 1472 N

So far this answer is known to be correct for Na.

ΣFx = 0
    0 = T - Nbcos30°
    T = Nbcos30°
    ΣFy = 0
    0 = Na - W + Nbsin30°
    Nbsin30° = W - Na
    Nb = (W - Na) / sin30°

Plugging in the known values and Na that we solved for yields the incorrect answer. Why can't I add up the components of the force vectors or what am I doing incorrectly?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2016 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your trig again when determining the x and y components of the normal force at B.

4. Sep 18, 2016 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Check this.

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4
    OK the horizontal component of Nb should be Nbcos60° and the vertical component of Nb should be Nbsin60°. I think I was tired and messed up the trig. Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted