Earth's Magnetic Field: Peak Altitude & Value

In summary, the Earth's magnetic field has no peak value above the equator, as it decreases with elevation. The greatest flux is near the poles, due to the dipole field which varies with distance. The main source of the magnetic field is located in the liquid outer core. Approximately 95% of the Earth's magnetic field is internal, with only 5% being external. There is no specific peak value at the equator.
drag
Science Advisor
Greetings !

I'd like to know the approximate altitude above the equator
where the Earth's magnetic field has a peak value and what is
that value (assuming approximate surface value there is 0.3 Gauss).

Also, I'd appreciate any links including Earth's magnetic field
maps/simulators at and aspecialy above the surface (in LEO for example).

Thanks. :smile:

Live long and prosper.

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field decreases as elevation increases. There is no peak, unless you are talking subterranean.

I don't think that's the case, you don't expect the greatest
magnetic flux right near the external surface of a coil for example, do you ?
Also, from the rough field line plots I've seen here and there
it looks like it should be at some distance.

Peace and long life.

The greatest flux will be near the poles. That's why we have the auroras at high latitudes. Earth's magnetic field is essentially a dipole field which varies inversely with the cube of the distance from the dipole. (Of course as you get closer to the center of the Earth the structure of the field becomes more complicated.)

Thanks. But, like I said, I'm more interested in the equator.

drag said:
Thanks. But, like I said, I'm more interested in the equator.

In that case you have your answer!

drag said:
I don't think that's the case, you don't expect the greatest
magnetic flux right near the external surface of a coil for example, do you ?
Also, from the rough field line plots I've seen here and there
it looks like it should be at some distance.

Peace and long life.
The surface of the Earth does not function as a coil. In fact, the main source of the magnetic field is a long ways under you feet; it's in the (liquid) outer core. In 1838, Carl Friedrich Gauss proved 95% of Earth's magnetic field is internal, 5% external.
http://geophysics.ou.edu/solid_earth/notes/mag_earth/earth.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Good link too.

1. What is Earth's Magnetic Field?

Earth's Magnetic Field is a natural phenomenon created by the movement of molten iron in the planet's outer core. It extends from the interior of the Earth to its outermost atmosphere and serves as a protective barrier against harmful solar radiation.

2. What is the peak altitude of Earth's Magnetic Field?

The peak altitude of Earth's Magnetic Field is around 300 miles above the surface of the Earth. This is known as the magnetopause, where the pressure from the solar wind balances the pressure from Earth's magnetic field.

3. How is the value of Earth's Magnetic Field measured?

The value of Earth's Magnetic Field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). The average value at the Earth's surface is approximately 0.5 G, while the peak strength can reach up to 65,000 nT at the poles.

4. What factors affect the strength of Earth's Magnetic Field?

The strength of Earth's Magnetic Field is influenced by several factors, including the Earth's rotation, the composition and movement of the molten iron in the outer core, and external forces such as solar wind and geomagnetic storms. Changes in these factors can cause fluctuations in the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What is the significance of Earth's Magnetic Field?

Earth's Magnetic Field plays a crucial role in protecting life on Earth by deflecting and trapping harmful charged particles from the Sun. It also serves as a navigation tool for animals, such as birds and sea turtles, and is essential for modern technology, including compasses and satellite communication systems.