Easy difference quotient question

In summary, a difference quotient is a mathematical expression used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. To solve an easy difference quotient question, you need to identify the function and point, substitute values into the formula, and simplify. The formula for a difference quotient is (f(x + h) - f(x)) / h. It can be negative depending on the values of the function. Finding the difference quotient is important for understanding the rate of change in various fields.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

Using difference quotient I am trying to find f '(0) for 2^x. Basically my question is a questions of algebra but I will show you what I have done thus far.

the limit is as x -> 0

[tex]\frac{2^x - 2^0}{x - 0}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2^x - 1}{x}[/tex]

So my question is what can I do to get x off the bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've probably already proved that the limit x->0 of (e^x-1)/x=1. Try to use that.

Thanks, that helped.

1. What is a difference quotient?

A difference quotient is a mathematical expression used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. It involves taking the limit as the distance between two points on the curve approaches zero.

2. How do I solve an easy difference quotient question?

To solve an easy difference quotient question, you need to identify the function and the point at which you want to find the slope. Then, you substitute the values into the difference quotient formula and simplify the expression to find the slope.

3. What is the formula for a difference quotient?

The formula for a difference quotient is (f(x + h) - f(x)) / h, where f(x) is the function and h is the distance between the two points on the curve.

4. Can a difference quotient be negative?

Yes, a difference quotient can be negative. The sign of the difference quotient depends on the values of the function at the two points being used to find the slope.

5. Why is finding the difference quotient important?

Finding the difference quotient is important because it helps us understand the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.