Easy divergence theorem problem

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a flux integral using the Divergence Theorem for a given vector field and sphere. The final answer is determined to be 324pi, and the use of polar coordinates is suggested as a method for solving the integral. However, the speaker also mentions that using intelligence may be a more effective approach than blindly applying formulas. The use of spherical coordinates is recommended, and the limits of integration are provided as \rho from 0 to 3, \theta from 0 to 2\pi, and \phi from 0 to \phi.
xmflea
Evaluate the flux integral using the Divergence Theorem if F(x,y,z)=2xi+3yj+4zk
and S is the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=9
answer is 324pi

so far i took the partial derivitavs of i j k for x y z and added them to get 9.

so i have the triple integral of 9 dzdxdy

i think u have to use polar cordinates, but I am reeally bad at those. and do not know how to set the bounds for this problem. can someone help me get started with that? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
see what i could do...is since i know volume of a sphere is 4/3r^3pi, i can just say that the radius is 3, and get 36pi x 9. to get 324pi. but I am sure my teacher would expect me to do some actual integration.

If I were your teacher, I wouldn't! Intelligence trumps blindly applying formulas any day.

If you really do want to integrate, use spherical coordinates. You book probably gives an example of using spherical coordinates to find the volume of a sphere. The "differential of volume" in spherical coordinates is [itex]\rho^2 sin(\phi) d\rho d\theta\dphi[/itex] and the limits of integration are [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0 to 3, [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\phi[/itex].

1. What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flux of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the field within the volume enclosed by the surface.

2. What is an easy divergence theorem problem?

An easy divergence theorem problem is a specific type of problem that can be solved using the divergence theorem. These problems typically involve calculating the flux of a vector field through a simple closed surface, such as a cube or sphere.

3. What are the steps to solve an easy divergence theorem problem?

The steps to solve an easy divergence theorem problem are as follows:

1. Identify the vector field and the closed surface in the problem.
  2. Calculate the divergence of the vector field.
  3. Use the divergence theorem to convert the surface integral into a volume integral.
  4. Solve the volume integral to find the flux of the vector field.

4. What are some real-world applications of the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. Some examples include calculating fluid flow through a pipe, determining the electric flux through a closed surface, and analyzing the distribution of heat in a solid object.

5. Are there any limitations to using the divergence theorem?

While the divergence theorem is a powerful tool for solving certain types of problems, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to closed surfaces, and the vector field must be continuous and differentiable within the volume enclosed by the surface. Additionally, the surface must be "nice," meaning it does not intersect itself or have any holes.