1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(easy) Isobaric processes mastering question

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    Foremost, this is my first post on PF, but I have used the sites archives extensively for help on my physics homework this semester, so many thanks to all! You have no idea how much you helped save me time, points, and also improved my understanding of the material.

But I'm stuck on a very simple question related to isobaric (constant pressure) processes for ideal gases.

1) Statement of the Problem:

"A gas undergoes the process shown in the figure. By what factor does the temperature change? "

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1070958/3/16.Q10.jpg

"T(f)/T(i) = ?"

2) Relevant equations:
    V(i)/T(i) = V(f)/T(f) (Charle's Law, for isobaric processes)
    pv = nRT

3) Attempt at solution:

This should be very simple: T(f)/T(i) = V(f)/V(i), assuming moles stay the same. I just applied the ideal gas law, eliminated the constants (p, n, R).

At constant pressure: V(f)/T(f) = V(i)/T(i), then I solved for the V-terms to get:
    T(f)/T(i) = V(f)/V(i)

But mastering physics says "answer does not depend on variable V(f) or V(i)" and evaluates those variables to random number values.

Did I do something wrong, or is this a formatting problem with mastering? Its gotta be something very simple, so I will update with a solution if my prof gets back to me.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello bikeman86,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

By examining the figure,

335560512577&out=http%3A%2F%2Fsession.masteringphysics.com%2FproblemAsset%2F1070958%2F3%2F16.Q10.jpg

you'll notice that the figure is labeled with 0 at the origin, and has tick marks on the x-axis. Based on this, ask yourself, "By what factor does the volume change?"

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    Oh my gosh, that was needlessly painful. For the final time this semester, thank you Mastering for making something so simple so unnecessarily ambiguous. Three "tick" marks over one "tick" mark = answer = completely ambiguous waste of time and energy.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help collinsmark!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook