(easy) Isobaric processes mastering question

• Thread starter bikeman86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isobaric
In summary, this first post by bikeman86 is about a problem they had with a simple physics question. They used the archives to help, and were grateful for the help. However, they were not able to solve the problem because it was ambiguous and Mastering physics said that the answer does not depend on the variable V(f).
bikeman86
Foremost, this is my first post on PF, but I have used the sites archives extensively for help on my physics homework this semester, so many thanks to all! You have no idea how much you helped save me time, points, and also improved my understanding of the material.

But I'm stuck on a very simple question related to isobaric (constant pressure) processes for ideal gases.
1) Statement of the Problem:

"A gas undergoes the process shown in the figure. By what factor does the temperature change? "http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1070958/3/16.Q10.jpg

"T(f)/T(i) = ?"2) Relevant equations:
V(i)/T(i) = V(f)/T(f) (Charle's Law, for isobaric processes)
pv = nRT3) Attempt at solution:

This should be very simple: T(f)/T(i) = V(f)/V(i), assuming moles stay the same. I just applied the ideal gas law, eliminated the constants (p, n, R).

At constant pressure: V(f)/T(f) = V(i)/T(i), then I solved for the V-terms to get:
T(f)/T(i) = V(f)/V(i)

But mastering physics says "answer does not depend on variable V(f) or V(i)" and evaluates those variables to random number values.

Did I do something wrong, or is this a formatting problem with mastering? Its got to be something very simple, so I will update with a solution if my prof gets back to me.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello bikeman86,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

By examining the figure,

335560512577&out=http%3A%2F%2Fsession.masteringphysics.com%2FproblemAsset%2F1070958%2F3%2F16.Q10.jpg

you'll notice that the figure is labeled with 0 at the origin, and has tick marks on the x-axis. Based on this, ask yourself, "By what factor does the volume change?"

Oh my gosh, that was needlessly painful. For the final time this semester, thank you Mastering for making something so simple so unnecessarily ambiguous. Three "tick" marks over one "tick" mark = answer = completely ambiguous waste of time and energy.

Nonetheless, thanks for your help collinsmark!

1. What is an isobaric process?

An isobaric process is a thermodynamic process in which the pressure of a system remains constant while other variables, such as volume and temperature, may change.

2. How do you master isobaric processes?

Mastery of isobaric processes involves understanding the fundamental principles of thermodynamics, such as the ideal gas law and the first law of thermodynamics. It also requires practice with solving problems and applying the principles to real-world situations.

3. What are some common examples of isobaric processes?

Some common examples of isobaric processes include boiling water at atmospheric pressure, heating a gas in a container with a movable piston, and evaporation of liquid at a constant pressure.

4. What is the difference between an isobaric process and an isothermal process?

An isobaric process involves a constant pressure, while an isothermal process involves a constant temperature. In an isobaric process, the volume may change, whereas in an isothermal process, the volume remains constant.

5. Why are isobaric processes important?

Isobaric processes are important because they occur in many real-world situations, such as in engines, refrigerators, and weather systems. Understanding isobaric processes is essential for engineers and scientists to design and analyze these systems accurately.