How does the fraction x^2/(x^2-1) simplify to 1 + 1/(x^2-1)?

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, the conversation discusses a specific arrangement in a larger Calc problem that has appeared twice in a row. The question is how {\frac{{x^2 }}{{x^2 - 1}}} becomes 1 + \frac{1}{{x^2 - 1}}. The solution is to use polynomial long division to divide the numerator by the denominator, resulting in a quotient of 1 and a remainder of 1. Then, by adding and subtracting 1 from the numerator, we can simplify the expression to 1 + \frac{1}{{x^2 - 1}}. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of two helpful answers and gratitude for the assistance.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is a small step in a larger Calc problem. There's 2 problems in a row where this same arrangement popped up. I have a feeling I'm forgetting something basic. How does [tex]{\frac{{x^2 }}{{x^2 - 1}}}[/tex] become [tex]1 + \frac{1}{{x^2 - 1}}[/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use polynomial long division to divide the numerator by the denominator. This gives you quotient, 1, and a remainder, 1. Just like 5/4=1+1/4.

Last edited:
add and subtract 1 from the numerator

then we get

[tex] \frac{x^2}{x^2 -1} = \frac{x^2 - 1 + 1}{x^2 -1} = \frac{x^2-1}{x^2-1} + \frac{1}{x^2 -1} = 1 + \frac{1}{x^2 + 1}[/tex]

2 great answers. I knew it wasn't hard, but I'd have never come up with either of these on my own. Thanks!

What is factoring?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a number into smaller numbers that can be multiplied together to get the original number. It is also known as decomposition or prime factorization.

Why is factoring important?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the properties of numbers and how they can be manipulated. It also makes solving equations and simplifying expressions easier.

What are the methods for factoring?

There are several methods for factoring, including trial and error, grouping, difference of squares, and quadratic formula. The method used depends on the type of expression being factored.

What are the common mistakes people make when factoring?

Some common mistakes people make when factoring include not checking all possible factors, forgetting to include negative factors, and making errors in the simplification process. It is important to double check your work when factoring to avoid these mistakes.

How is factoring used in real life?

Factoring is used in real life in various fields such as cryptography, engineering, and finance. It is used to solve complex equations, analyze data, and find patterns in numbers. It is also used in everyday situations such as calculating discounts and determining the least common multiple of two numbers.