1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy problem that I am stuck on

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    Easy problem that I am stuck on....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two vectors A and B have magnitude of A = 3.02 B=3.00. Their vector product is AXB = -4.90k + 2.01i. What is the angle between vector A and vector B?

2. Relevant equations
    since I know the vector product of A and B, I was thinking that Cx = 2.01 and Cz = -4.90. I would then add them together to get -2.89. Then could i use the equation C = ABsin(theta). That would be like

-2.89 = (3.02)(3.00)sin(theta)
    -.319=sin(theta)
    -18.6 = theta
    I don't know if this is the right path to follow but this is what I could come up with.

3. The attempt at a solution

THANKS for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2
    it's
    [tex]\left| c\right| =\left| a\right| \,\left| b\right| \,sin\left( p\right) [/tex]
    where c = a x b

4. Aug 26, 2007 #3
    so am I solving it incorrectly because i am using the same equation, its just that I don't know if the value of c that I have is correct. Also the answer I get is not right. So, what should I change? thanks for the help though.

5. Aug 26, 2007 #4
    get the absolute value of c.
    c^2=x^2+y^2+z^2

6. Aug 26, 2007 #5
    Thank You So Much! I Realized What I Was Doing Wrong Was That I Was Taking The Sin When I Should Have Been Taking The Arcsin. Thanks Again!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?