1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy question!Quick!

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Hi all, I just registered for this forum and I am excited to learn a lot! I am taking physics this year and I am enjoying it a lot although it is quite difficult for me.
    Quick question:
    how do I calculate μ sub s and μ sub k(formulas would be excellent)?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

If you're talking about the coefficients of friction for objects, they are typically determined by experiment.

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3
    For example: A 95 kg clock initially a trest on a horizontal floor requires a 650N horizontal force to set it in motion. After the clock is in motion, a horitzontal force of 560N keeps it moving with a constant speed. Find μ sub k and μ sub s between the clock and the floor.

I said the μ sub s was < 650N and > 0 N would that be correct since static friction means it's not moving and if it's between 0 and 650 it will be staying at rest?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook